Twenty-Three. "My Favorite Books."
Day 23. My Favorite Books.
"You know you've read a good book when you turn to the last page and feel as though you've lost a friend."
-Unknown
I suppose I have made it pretty obvious that my favorite book of all time, is the Book. The Bible. If I have not made that clear, then I am sorry. It is entirely my fault. I wrote on day one of this challenge that I believe that the Bible is true, and it is that belief that I build and shape my life around.
Still, there are many other books to read and enjoy. No other book so inspired, but there are other books that are inspiring nonetheless.
I decided to break it into categories just like with the food. There are too many to choose from!
Favorite Over All.
My favorite book, hands down, is The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elisabeth George Speare. I received this book from my Uncle Matt for Christmas one year. Having no clue what it was about, thinking it sounded a little scary, and noting that the paperback version that I was given was probably printed in 1973, I threw it on my bookshelf, and continued on my business. One day my mom was on a hunt for something to read (as often was the case, since my mama was a total book devourer) and she found it. My mom was never thrown off by something like a cover...you know "dont judge a book by its cover" you get it. Anyway, about half way through it she was raving about it and singing its praises, and I couldnt wait to get my hands on it. Finally, I did. I cannot remember exactly how long it took me to read it. I was fairly young, so probably a week or so, but it was so good. Like, it had everything about books that enjoy, and a happy ending. I need my happy endings. Thats all I'll say about that book in particular, because really people, you should get it out of the Library and discover it for yourself!
Historical fiction has always been my favorite. I think it is because I grew up immersed in both the American Girl series and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. There is just something about being able to escape both place and time. I can go to New York City, I can travel across the world, but I can never travel through time, except through my books.
Non-Fiction.
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. If you have never read it, read it. It is like being an eye witness to the beautiful battle of a human soul in times of suffering. I enjoy reading books about the Holocaust, but hers is so much more than that. It encompasses all angles and walks of life. I identified with it as a sixteen year old girl, but I am sure that women nearing the end of their lives could identify just as easily. She changed my entire view of love. I would hate to spoil it for you, but she goes through somewhat of a tragedy in her romance, and it taught me so much. I used to be scared to love. Scared to give pieces of me away, in case they were thrown out into a trash heap one day, but what did Jesus do? He loved us all in spite of our response to Him. In fact, He loved us knowing the rejection he would face. In the book, Corrie fervently prays that God will allow her to love the man in her life as much as Jesus does. A tall order, but so honest, so open! It really moved me in so many ways. I really need to get my own copy so that I can reread her priceless testimony.
Children's Fiction.
Well, The Witch of Blackbird Pond is a work of Children's fiction, but I already mentioned that one as my favorite over all (besides the Bible). So I'm gonna go with Ella Enchanted, Fairest and anything else by Gail Carson Levine. Do not recall the movie version of Ella Enchanted with Anne Hathaway, the book is nothing like it. Levine writes well (correct me, but I think she was a Newberry Award Winner), and her ideas are creative and original. She takes fairy tales, and turns them into much more believable and adventurous tales. She turns whiny princesses waiting for princes to come save them, into pro-active young women. They are great books for teenage girls, because while they are entertaining and have a touch of romance, they are far from the filth that is in most teenage fiction today. (I cannot even tell you how many books from the children's section that I have had to put back because I felt they were inappropriate even for me, a 22 year old woman!). I really super like them though, and I felt that they were clean all of the way through.
Picture Book.
I worked in a Children's bookstore, people, I couldnt skip this one! I have so many favorites but there are a couple that are extra special, as in, I bought them for myself...just because. The Scarlet Stocking Spy by Trinka Hakes Noble and illustrated by Robert Papp is fantastic. It would have to be for an older child because there are quite a few words on each page and the story is somewhat complicated. Its about a little girl during the Revolutionary War who sends signals to the soldiers according to what clothes she hangs on the laundry line. Its so neat, and the pictures are beautiful!
Another priceless book that is actually a true story, is called Angel Girl by Laurie Friedman. Same as the previous book, it is probably meant for older children. It takes place during the Holocaust and is about a little girl who sneaks apples to a little boy who is starving in a concentration camp right next to her farm. The amazing thing is, that years later, they bump into each other in New York City. He knows at once that she is his "Angel Girl" and they end up getting married! I know, I was sobbing at the end. You may want to read it through first on your own, so that your kids arent like, "Mom,....are you ok?" Unfortunately, as far as I know it is out of print, but I have found it a couple of times on Amazon. It really is such a priceless story!
The last that I'll mention is A Pig Named Perrier by Elizabeth Spurr, illustrated by Martin Matje. Oh my word. If you like cute animal books, you will LOVE this one. Perrier is a pig who lives in Hollywood with his Movie Star owner, and its just hilarious. It would be better for a little younger kids since the story isnt quite so serious, but its still fantastic and the pictures are great!
Children's Series
The Romana Quimby series by Beverly Clearly. Especially for younger kids. I think even pretty young children would enjoy them because they are so funny, and though they are chapter books, the chapters are quite short, so as not to lose their attention too easily. The best part about these books is the humor. I just reread Reezus and Romana and I very often found myself laughing out loud.
For older elementary grades, I have to give a nod to The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Any book written by such a brilliant man is bound to be a good one. Full of beautiful magic and adventure, they are good for either boys are girls, and are great read-alouds. I can remember the first time I read them, I was entranced from page one. They are also good because since they are a bit older they help to expand the vocabulary, I like that Lewis uses words that many other Children's authors would not.
Being that there are many people who are opposed to the Harry Potter series, I will not say much about it, other than I confidently enjoyed them. They are written well for children, and J.K. Rowling's unique sense of writing makes the reader feel as though they are watching a movie rather than reading a book. So, they are good for kids who may have a natural aversion to reading long books.
Fiction
Sold by Patricia McCormick is a book that will leave you tear stained and longing to change the world. It is actually not an adult book. I dont read "adult books" I rarely read anything thats not found in the children's section just because its so very hard to filter. Although this book is found in the Children's book department, I would caution that only very mature teenagers should read it. I was probably like in my late teens when I read it. It is a fictional story about the evils of sex-trafficking in India. It is such an amazingly emotional book, and it makes your heart stir for those who have experienced and still are experiencing such horrible tragedy. Although I hate to ruin it for you I will reassure you that it does have a happy ending, lest you never pick it up. It is rough, and bare, and grotesque, just like the world is. Although it is somewhat detailed, it is not explicit. Just painful. So painful. I like to be in pain sometimes though...I think its good for me in my big comfy American house with so much food that I have to do exercise videos to be in pain. It lets me see outside of my little box.
Series
On a completely different note, I love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. Oh my goodness! They are written so hilariously! Confessions of a Shopaholic is the best one because some of the ones that come along later in the series have some questionable content and language, although still mostly on the clean side. You do not want to be sitting in the room with me while I am reading one of those though, because I will seriously laugh out loud like every ten minutes. I cant help it! Her dry British humor is so addicting, and I see myself so vividly in her!
Motivational
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. Man, that was one of those books that just walk right up to you and whack you over the head with a sledgehammer. At the age of fifteen, I had no idea what I was doing or where my life was going, but when I read that book all I could think was "Why NOT full-time ministry?" Who am I to tell God that I'd rather be comfy and have a nice well-paying job with a little son and daughter and a perfect little suburban home than to do his will? Exactly. It was at the same time as I was going through a bunch of stuff having to do with boyfriends and relationships and God just worked it all out, so simply for me. Through that book he gave me my life goal, and really showed me purpose and meaning. I so recommend this book for any high school graduate. I want to be one of those people that looks back on my life and thinks, "I'm so glad it wasnt wasted."
Classic
My favorite classic novel is probably Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. The Civil War era is another era that fascinates me, and I find it interesting to research and discover both sides of the arguments that were apart of such division. I have grown up in the North, and the story we hear is a different one than those who grew up in the South. I never knew it until I met Daniel. He was born and raised in Tennessee. Its an amazingly rich topic to uncover. Anyway, all that to say, Uncle Tom's Cabin, I thought, did a very good job of presenting numerous points of view, numerous lovable characters, and numerous stories within a story. It is an inspiring tale of American history.
Well.. I hope you enjoyed my book reviews today! I love to read almost as much as I love to write!
"You know you've read a good book when you turn to the last page and feel as though you've lost a friend."
-Unknown
I suppose I have made it pretty obvious that my favorite book of all time, is the Book. The Bible. If I have not made that clear, then I am sorry. It is entirely my fault. I wrote on day one of this challenge that I believe that the Bible is true, and it is that belief that I build and shape my life around.
Still, there are many other books to read and enjoy. No other book so inspired, but there are other books that are inspiring nonetheless.
I decided to break it into categories just like with the food. There are too many to choose from!
Favorite Over All.
My favorite book, hands down, is The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elisabeth George Speare. I received this book from my Uncle Matt for Christmas one year. Having no clue what it was about, thinking it sounded a little scary, and noting that the paperback version that I was given was probably printed in 1973, I threw it on my bookshelf, and continued on my business. One day my mom was on a hunt for something to read (as often was the case, since my mama was a total book devourer) and she found it. My mom was never thrown off by something like a cover...you know "dont judge a book by its cover" you get it. Anyway, about half way through it she was raving about it and singing its praises, and I couldnt wait to get my hands on it. Finally, I did. I cannot remember exactly how long it took me to read it. I was fairly young, so probably a week or so, but it was so good. Like, it had everything about books that enjoy, and a happy ending. I need my happy endings. Thats all I'll say about that book in particular, because really people, you should get it out of the Library and discover it for yourself!
Historical fiction has always been my favorite. I think it is because I grew up immersed in both the American Girl series and the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. There is just something about being able to escape both place and time. I can go to New York City, I can travel across the world, but I can never travel through time, except through my books.
Non-Fiction.
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom. If you have never read it, read it. It is like being an eye witness to the beautiful battle of a human soul in times of suffering. I enjoy reading books about the Holocaust, but hers is so much more than that. It encompasses all angles and walks of life. I identified with it as a sixteen year old girl, but I am sure that women nearing the end of their lives could identify just as easily. She changed my entire view of love. I would hate to spoil it for you, but she goes through somewhat of a tragedy in her romance, and it taught me so much. I used to be scared to love. Scared to give pieces of me away, in case they were thrown out into a trash heap one day, but what did Jesus do? He loved us all in spite of our response to Him. In fact, He loved us knowing the rejection he would face. In the book, Corrie fervently prays that God will allow her to love the man in her life as much as Jesus does. A tall order, but so honest, so open! It really moved me in so many ways. I really need to get my own copy so that I can reread her priceless testimony.
Children's Fiction.
Well, The Witch of Blackbird Pond is a work of Children's fiction, but I already mentioned that one as my favorite over all (besides the Bible). So I'm gonna go with Ella Enchanted, Fairest and anything else by Gail Carson Levine. Do not recall the movie version of Ella Enchanted with Anne Hathaway, the book is nothing like it. Levine writes well (correct me, but I think she was a Newberry Award Winner), and her ideas are creative and original. She takes fairy tales, and turns them into much more believable and adventurous tales. She turns whiny princesses waiting for princes to come save them, into pro-active young women. They are great books for teenage girls, because while they are entertaining and have a touch of romance, they are far from the filth that is in most teenage fiction today. (I cannot even tell you how many books from the children's section that I have had to put back because I felt they were inappropriate even for me, a 22 year old woman!). I really super like them though, and I felt that they were clean all of the way through.
Picture Book.
I worked in a Children's bookstore, people, I couldnt skip this one! I have so many favorites but there are a couple that are extra special, as in, I bought them for myself...just because. The Scarlet Stocking Spy by Trinka Hakes Noble and illustrated by Robert Papp is fantastic. It would have to be for an older child because there are quite a few words on each page and the story is somewhat complicated. Its about a little girl during the Revolutionary War who sends signals to the soldiers according to what clothes she hangs on the laundry line. Its so neat, and the pictures are beautiful!
Another priceless book that is actually a true story, is called Angel Girl by Laurie Friedman. Same as the previous book, it is probably meant for older children. It takes place during the Holocaust and is about a little girl who sneaks apples to a little boy who is starving in a concentration camp right next to her farm. The amazing thing is, that years later, they bump into each other in New York City. He knows at once that she is his "Angel Girl" and they end up getting married! I know, I was sobbing at the end. You may want to read it through first on your own, so that your kids arent like, "Mom,....are you ok?" Unfortunately, as far as I know it is out of print, but I have found it a couple of times on Amazon. It really is such a priceless story!
The last that I'll mention is A Pig Named Perrier by Elizabeth Spurr, illustrated by Martin Matje. Oh my word. If you like cute animal books, you will LOVE this one. Perrier is a pig who lives in Hollywood with his Movie Star owner, and its just hilarious. It would be better for a little younger kids since the story isnt quite so serious, but its still fantastic and the pictures are great!
Children's Series
The Romana Quimby series by Beverly Clearly. Especially for younger kids. I think even pretty young children would enjoy them because they are so funny, and though they are chapter books, the chapters are quite short, so as not to lose their attention too easily. The best part about these books is the humor. I just reread Reezus and Romana and I very often found myself laughing out loud.
For older elementary grades, I have to give a nod to The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Any book written by such a brilliant man is bound to be a good one. Full of beautiful magic and adventure, they are good for either boys are girls, and are great read-alouds. I can remember the first time I read them, I was entranced from page one. They are also good because since they are a bit older they help to expand the vocabulary, I like that Lewis uses words that many other Children's authors would not.
Being that there are many people who are opposed to the Harry Potter series, I will not say much about it, other than I confidently enjoyed them. They are written well for children, and J.K. Rowling's unique sense of writing makes the reader feel as though they are watching a movie rather than reading a book. So, they are good for kids who may have a natural aversion to reading long books.
Fiction
Sold by Patricia McCormick is a book that will leave you tear stained and longing to change the world. It is actually not an adult book. I dont read "adult books" I rarely read anything thats not found in the children's section just because its so very hard to filter. Although this book is found in the Children's book department, I would caution that only very mature teenagers should read it. I was probably like in my late teens when I read it. It is a fictional story about the evils of sex-trafficking in India. It is such an amazingly emotional book, and it makes your heart stir for those who have experienced and still are experiencing such horrible tragedy. Although I hate to ruin it for you I will reassure you that it does have a happy ending, lest you never pick it up. It is rough, and bare, and grotesque, just like the world is. Although it is somewhat detailed, it is not explicit. Just painful. So painful. I like to be in pain sometimes though...I think its good for me in my big comfy American house with so much food that I have to do exercise videos to be in pain. It lets me see outside of my little box.
Series
On a completely different note, I love the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. Oh my goodness! They are written so hilariously! Confessions of a Shopaholic is the best one because some of the ones that come along later in the series have some questionable content and language, although still mostly on the clean side. You do not want to be sitting in the room with me while I am reading one of those though, because I will seriously laugh out loud like every ten minutes. I cant help it! Her dry British humor is so addicting, and I see myself so vividly in her!
Motivational
Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper. Man, that was one of those books that just walk right up to you and whack you over the head with a sledgehammer. At the age of fifteen, I had no idea what I was doing or where my life was going, but when I read that book all I could think was "Why NOT full-time ministry?" Who am I to tell God that I'd rather be comfy and have a nice well-paying job with a little son and daughter and a perfect little suburban home than to do his will? Exactly. It was at the same time as I was going through a bunch of stuff having to do with boyfriends and relationships and God just worked it all out, so simply for me. Through that book he gave me my life goal, and really showed me purpose and meaning. I so recommend this book for any high school graduate. I want to be one of those people that looks back on my life and thinks, "I'm so glad it wasnt wasted."
Classic
My favorite classic novel is probably Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. The Civil War era is another era that fascinates me, and I find it interesting to research and discover both sides of the arguments that were apart of such division. I have grown up in the North, and the story we hear is a different one than those who grew up in the South. I never knew it until I met Daniel. He was born and raised in Tennessee. Its an amazingly rich topic to uncover. Anyway, all that to say, Uncle Tom's Cabin, I thought, did a very good job of presenting numerous points of view, numerous lovable characters, and numerous stories within a story. It is an inspiring tale of American history.
Well.. I hope you enjoyed my book reviews today! I love to read almost as much as I love to write!















Comments
Post a Comment