Eleven. "Favorite TV Shows"
Day 11. My favorite TV shows.
Ok, so as a kid we were only allowed to watch PBS. That was probably a combination of the facts that it was clean, educational, and one of the three channels we got (the other two being soap operas all day). The other rule pertaining to TV was that we were only allowed to watch an hour a day, in other words, two shows on PBS. We had to do some wise decision planning. When we were younger, the routine went:
Magic School Bus, then Arthur. When we got older it went: Arthur then Zoom. (There was a very small time in there where we enjoyed watching Kratt's Creatures, which is now entitled 'Zaboomafoo')
During high school, I rarely found time to watch TV. I pretty much never did, except when I went over to Shea's because they had cable, and it was sweet. We would sit around and watch old reruns of Bonanza
A couple of times my mom and I would get really into some weekly special that they would have on PBS. They would do this thing where they would send modern families to live in completely authentic historical settings and then they would film them for a week. They were always called something House (Manor House, Frontier House, etc.) I always thought it was so cool, and I would have loved to be on that show. I also remember watching an itty bitty bit of Survivor like when it first started showing, probably with my sister Anna, because I remember her being a huge Survivor fan for a while.
When I was like sixteen or so, my parents finally got a Dish. I remember being in absolute awe of the numerous channels that abounded. Still, I had to share the TV, and it was almost always on Disney Channel, except on Thursday nights, when Gretchen and Josh would come over and we would all sit down to watch The Office. So super funny! I admit, it has gone down hill a little bit recently, and I cannot imagine how it will still be funny without Steve Carell, but man alive, that show can make me laugh.
If I watch TV now. It is usually some dumb show about Brides or Weddings on WE, or something on Food Network or TLC. I pretty much like most of the shows shown on those three channels. I hate Baby Story though. Ugh. Why is that show even on? My top favorite shows are probably My Fair Wedding with David Tutera, Chopped. and What Not to Wear. I have never really been able to get into sitcoms or any other comedy shows, other than the Office.
To be honest. I sort of love TV. Its kind of like a guilty pleasure of mine. It kind of gets on my nerves that people look down on watching TV. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you are careful what you watch and how you use it. Most of the time I use it as a way to wait on someone without getting impatient. For instance, my sweet, perpetually late boyfriend. I get ready by the time he said to, and then I sit down and start watching Food Network. Before you know it, he's arrived, and I havent even called to check on him one single time. :)
I also use it while I fold laundry, make grocery lists, blog, do homework, and scrapbook. It makes me forget about the boring tasks I am completing, and helps me get stuff done in a cheerful way. I just have to remember to keep going sometimes. :)
Ok, so as a kid we were only allowed to watch PBS. That was probably a combination of the facts that it was clean, educational, and one of the three channels we got (the other two being soap operas all day). The other rule pertaining to TV was that we were only allowed to watch an hour a day, in other words, two shows on PBS. We had to do some wise decision planning. When we were younger, the routine went:
Magic School Bus, then Arthur. When we got older it went: Arthur then Zoom. (There was a very small time in there where we enjoyed watching Kratt's Creatures, which is now entitled 'Zaboomafoo')
![]() |
| "Seatbelts everyone!" |
![]() |
| Arthur |
![]() |
| "Come on and Zoom!" |
During high school, I rarely found time to watch TV. I pretty much never did, except when I went over to Shea's because they had cable, and it was sweet. We would sit around and watch old reruns of Bonanza
A couple of times my mom and I would get really into some weekly special that they would have on PBS. They would do this thing where they would send modern families to live in completely authentic historical settings and then they would film them for a week. They were always called something House (Manor House, Frontier House, etc.) I always thought it was so cool, and I would have loved to be on that show. I also remember watching an itty bitty bit of Survivor like when it first started showing, probably with my sister Anna, because I remember her being a huge Survivor fan for a while.
![]() |
| Bonanza |
When I was like sixteen or so, my parents finally got a Dish. I remember being in absolute awe of the numerous channels that abounded. Still, I had to share the TV, and it was almost always on Disney Channel, except on Thursday nights, when Gretchen and Josh would come over and we would all sit down to watch The Office. So super funny! I admit, it has gone down hill a little bit recently, and I cannot imagine how it will still be funny without Steve Carell, but man alive, that show can make me laugh.
If I watch TV now. It is usually some dumb show about Brides or Weddings on WE, or something on Food Network or TLC. I pretty much like most of the shows shown on those three channels. I hate Baby Story though. Ugh. Why is that show even on? My top favorite shows are probably My Fair Wedding with David Tutera, Chopped. and What Not to Wear. I have never really been able to get into sitcoms or any other comedy shows, other than the Office.
To be honest. I sort of love TV. Its kind of like a guilty pleasure of mine. It kind of gets on my nerves that people look down on watching TV. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you are careful what you watch and how you use it. Most of the time I use it as a way to wait on someone without getting impatient. For instance, my sweet, perpetually late boyfriend. I get ready by the time he said to, and then I sit down and start watching Food Network. Before you know it, he's arrived, and I havent even called to check on him one single time. :)
I also use it while I fold laundry, make grocery lists, blog, do homework, and scrapbook. It makes me forget about the boring tasks I am completing, and helps me get stuff done in a cheerful way. I just have to remember to keep going sometimes. :)











hah! I know exactly what you're talking about....people looking down on you because you "love" tv.. As long as you're not watching "junk"....it's really awesome! :) Think about it...news, discovery channel, history channel, food network, LOVE IT!!! :) I TOTALLY remember that frontier house show.. I actually liked it.. I would NEVER have remembered the name! :)
ReplyDelete~Anna
Definitely watched The Magic Schoolbus and I LOVE THE OFFICE!!!!! :D
ReplyDelete