Well I guess that's pretty obvious.
I miss my mama more than I can even say.
There are other things I miss too though.
I miss being a kid. I miss having little to no responsibility. I miss the possibility of someone doing things for me. I miss being coddled and meticulously cared for. I miss having time seem endless. I miss running through my house, and it seeming enormous. I miss coming downstairs and my mom saying, "Shhh, you need to be quiet, because the older kids are doing their schoolwork." I miss Abby being a baby.
I miss all my friends being such an everyday part of my life. I miss Spanish class, I miss History Club, I miss Keepers At Home, I miss waking up in the morning and mom telling me what we were going to do. I miss having the biggest worry being a new zit on my nose. I miss Youth Group and WOL Camp, and TI, and everything that encompassed being a teenager. I miss when we were all just single and all friends. I miss that feeling you get when a boy asks you to 'Spring Formal'.
I miss college, and all my friends from Boyce. I miss Faithy. I miss Stephen. I miss the randomness. "Wanna go eat?" "Sure." Nothing sceheduled, nothing planned. I miss having Mercedes everyday. I miss waking up to her little voice. I miss fixing her hair every morning. I miss jumping in the car and driving to the park. I miss playing with her in the hose, or taking her to the pool. I miss her sweet little "I love you, Emma" on a daily basis. I miss Cede being a baby.
I suppose these musings are typical on one's birthday.
Sadly, and also wonderfully, there is no cure for nostalgia. No magical spell or bitter potion to bring back the joys, triumphs, and moments of yesterday. However, there are two responses to making a list like this. First, being so greatful to have experienced all that I have experienced. "I'm lucky to have been where I have been."
The second; is to enjoy the moment. Love everything that is right now. I have to love the woman that Abby has become, the smart little girl that Mercedes has turned into, the truest of friends that have stuck by my side, the roses and sweet "I love you"s from a boy who used to give me butterflies at the sight of him. The gorgeous salty smell of the ocean, the fact that I get a huge hotel bed all to myself, my closer walk with Christ, my closer relationship with my family, all of my new friends.
Growing up has its advantages as well.
22 will be even better than 21.
I am counting on it.
 |
| Newborn |
 |
| One Year |
 |
| Two Years |
 |
| Three Years |
 |
| Four Years |
 |
| Five Years |
 |
| Six Years |
 |
| Seven Years |
 |
| Eight Years |
 |
| Nine Years |
 |
Ten Years
|
 |
Eleven Years
|
 |
| Twelve Years |
 |
| Thirteen Years |
 |
| Fourteen Years |
 |
| Fifteen Years |
 |
| Sixteen Years |
 |
| Seventeen Years |
 |
| Eighteen Years |
 |
| Nineteen Years |
 |
| Twenty Years |
 |
| Twenty-One Years |
 |
| Twenty-Two Years |
Emily, this post is a treasure ...all the memories and the pictures. There is no cure for nostalgia ...and it gets worse with age but i think that just makes us more grateful to God plus there is joy in all the "new" mercies God gives us each day!
ReplyDelete