Twenty-Four. "Something I've Learned" and what my birthday has to do with it.....

My birthday was last Wednesday, but I was wise and stretched it out for about a week. :)

It started with lunch at the beach.

Then kissing my baby nephew.

Then there was the party at my house.


Then Breakfast the next morning.

Josiah must be a morning person. :)

Paula Dean's easy coffee cake.
Then, last...but not least, Daniel surprised me.

He met me at work after his Dr's appt. I was just getting off and we were deciding what to do with our evening, when he got this sly little smile on his face. "We'll go eat. But first. Follow me."
My heart skipped a beat. He is so funny like that. Knowing him, it could have been stopping by the gas station, or going to the ATM, but he drove downtown and then stopped. I parked next to him, still confused. He took me to this thrift store thats like in the basement of one of the old buildings downtown. He told me to plug my nose, because....well, it smells like a thrift store....you know? Anyway, he took me straight to the back and he pointed at this darling little picnic basket. I opened it up and there were all the plates and untinsels and everything. It had never been used, and it so adorable. I had asked him for one for my birthday but since he had already given me my present (and I loved it!) I didnt really think anything more about it. "Do you want it?" he asked me. "YES!" I said, and gave him a little squeeze around the shoulders.
What is it about surprises that make things even better?


You know what I've learned? I've learned that we all want to know everything every step of the way.
I've learned that I pray, "Lord, I want this." or "Lord, can you help it to be soon." or "Lord, why can't I see what the end of this will be?"
But maybe the Lord just wants to surprise me.
Squeezing the guts out of the darlingest little mermaid that Natalie made for me. :)

I've also learned, that just when I think I know what everyone around me is thinking (especially Daniel) that I really have no idea. I am Mrs. Analytical to the millionth degree. It is soooo hard for me not to be. "Daniel, you did that because you are having bitter feelings toward that person." how many times have I said that, and he calmly replies with, "Oh. Ok, I'm glad you know exactly why I do everything I do." Ouch.
Take a deep breath Emily, every once and a while give other people the benefit of the doubt. Trust the outward appearence, believe Him when He says, "I know the plans I have for you".

Its true though. I guess what I'm saying is...I've learned that I dont know everything. Woah.
In fact, if I dare to say it....I know very little. Admittedly, it makes life more interesting that way.
If I knew it all; life would be a boring mess.
With my bestest friend before she leaves me for three months!

So I'm a big bad 22 year old now. I'm "In my twenties". barf. I can only imagine how fast my life will fly by now, but I am glad that God still takes the time to teach me little lessons about myself. I'm glad that I can stop and reflect on these things, and hopefully learn from them.
Baby Ryan. :)

Comments

  1. Happy Birthday! I know I never comment, but you have the sweetest blog ever!!! Such a wise young lady. I'm not even sure I'm as wise as you and I am 10 years older...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet comment! I hope that you continue to enjoy and read my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts