Twelve. "Something I Never Leave the House Without."

Well. The truth is:



Now, I am not one of those people who text non-stop. All "LOL" and "OMG" and stuff like that. I mean, I do, on occasion use those phrases, but I am not a 24/7 texter. Unlike my little sister. Ok, moving on.

For me, my phone is like a little security blanket. It all began, in 2008. Up until this time, I would tend to have a general idea where my phone was. Usually, it was in the bottom of my purse, so that if I went somewhere, my parents could call and tell me when to be home. Occasionally, but pretty rarely, a boy would call, but I really didnt care all that much, and found talking on the phone to be a bit awkward anyway. Until. Until January of 2008.

On the phone with Daniel in 2008
I left for college. I left my family, my friends, and my boyfriend of six months.
Oh the agony!
I had that cell phone glued in my pocket no less than 24 hours a day, because, "what if he called?"
Without that phone, I dont know if we could have made it. I dont know if I could have made it.

I still smile and get goose bumps when I see his name on the caller ID, because some things never change.

It is my lifeline to him. If I need him, I can reach him. If he needs me, he can reach me.

Like a few nights ago when I was laying in my bed, sobbing, thinking about my mom.
I grabbed my phone and it was mere seconds before I heard, "Yeah."
Oh the instant reassurance. The instant love that I felt. It was so wonderful. He prayed with me, and through a little tiny piece of technology, no bigger than my sock, he comforted me.

Or when he needs advice.
"What do you do if you accidentally hit a girl in an inappropriate area? Say 'Sorry' or act like nothing happened?"

Or when I really really really want to hear him sing?

Because, people, these are the living pieces of what relationships are made of. Communication is the key to any interpersonal relationship, and if communication is lost. That relationship is lost.

So I take my phone with me everywhere. Because what if he needs me?
What if he is standing in the grocery store and he cant decide between Blue Gatorade or Yellow?
What if he is stressed beyond the max, and needs a reassuring "You will do great!"?
What if he calls to say, "Hey, I'm just calling to tell you that I love you." ?
What if I missed it?

Its all of those "unimportant" things, that make us who we (Daniel and Emily) are.
We are two peas in a pod.
Two peas that have a lot of distance between them, but luckily our pod is the size of the Verizon network. Which happens to be pretty darn big.


On the phone with Daniel, 2011.

Nine months out of the year I know exactly where my phone is.

The other three? I couldn't care less.

Comments

  1. PS-Ironically both of those photos were taken as a means to show him my new hair color. I just happened to be on the phone both times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet. I love the ending line. :)
    Nick never liked talking on the phone when he lived close, but when he left for college (for a week, teehee!) he called me every night.
    "Little piece of technology no bigger than my sock" haha! so true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts