Dad.

This will be my first Father's Day post, and with so much material its hard to know exactly where to start.

My dad and I have always had a good relationship. I was such a drama queen, and when my mom couldnt stand it any longer, my dad still could. It was like, he got it. Want to know why? He had three older sisters that were (and still are) his very closest of friends! All guys need sisters.


That of course is my personal opinion, and is somewhat illogical due to the fact that there are many great families in which there are only boys present...still...I've claimed never to marry (or date) a man who comes from an all-boy family. The one time I did was an absolute disaster....but we'll not go there now.

Obviously, there are distinct differences between my parents. My mom was the talk, talk, talker...while my dad sat and listened (although he is by NO means quiet!). If I had an issue, talking to mom would mean opinion, opinion, opinion. Talking to Dad means silence. Sometimes we need silence. Its strange how when we are left to our own devices, we still come up with answers.

My dad always knows what to do. When I think there is no possible resolution left, he knows one. You may think that that is my opinion once again, but its not. Its absolutely a proven fact. I have been in some pretty sticky situations...and he pulls me out with ease! I guess thats how a dad should be right? There for you when you need him most.

Since my mom died, its just me and my dad living at home. The quiet is something that we both have to get used to, and probably never will, but the tidiness is something we both enjoy. He always applauds my attempts at homemaking, whether its a successful recipe or the fact that I actually vaccuumed.

Its not very hard to please my dad, he loves his kids so much, and he has this awesome balance of protection and release. I have no doubt that my dad loves me more than anyone, and yet he doesn't cling or have these incredible expectations. Maybe thats how I know he loves me. Its like he gets the fact that I'm 22, but he doesnt forget or neglect the fact that I'm still his daughter. Its kind of like the best of both worlds...

I love that my dad is funny. I love that he thinks kids are hilarious and he lives for a good "kid story". Its like every feature in his face lights up when kids say funny things. He's always loved kids, he loved us at every age, just like my mom did, but I think he especially loved that age where kids start saying funny things... about two or three I guess. I'm the same way. While everyone is oohing over the bitties...I'm just chattin it up with Cede. Because, honestly....who's funnier?


Which brings me to my next point. My dad is lovin the life of a grandpa. Good for him! He and my mom had to wait for-ev-er to have grandbabies, so its about time he gets to enjoy it! Sidenote; I have seven years to have a baby and still beat the record for being the youngest to have a baby in my immediate family. Anyway, my dad loves spending all of that time just going crazy over those kiddies! He loves buying stuff for the girls. Oh my goodness! There is hardly a day that he comes back from a shopping trip without something for one of them! He's had lots of practice I suppose. :)

Bottom line: I have a great dad, and I do not deserve him!

Father's Day 2010
Love you dad! :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts