Another old post from Facebook. "A word on Mothers."

Being motherly has nothing to do with the physical giving of birth, but everything to do with the spiritual application of helping and guiding those who are younger and more fragile in and with their lives. Since my mother was a remarkable woman, it would take many women to make up for my loss. There is no one or multiple ones who could ever replace her; but there are still those who listen, give, and care. So here today I raise a toast not to being a mother necessarily, but to being motherly.



A mother should be, and my mother certainly was, a good listener. She would sit and listen as I poured out my heart to her. I could tell her anything. One awesome thing I note about my mom was that although she loved to talk, she never interrupted me while I was telling her something important. Also, she was never automatically on my side. She was equally fair to both parties, which is actually very refreshing, since most women are gossips by nature, and we love to present our two cents against the offender. In honor of my mother being a good listener, I say thank you to my Wednesday night buddies. Amanda Edington, Megan Elmore, Mandy Cooper, Johannah Starr, and I am sure there are more of you. You listen and truly want to know how my life is going. You always ask about Daniel, and school, other important things in my life. Its so valuable to me, because I don't always have that! I also know that your advice will be godly and unselfish, and I trust you because most of you have been where I am before! Thank You!



My mother was generous. She was generous with her time, and she was generous with her means. I never went without and more often than not she would come home with something or other that she happened to pick up for me when she was out. In honor of my mother being generous, I say thanks to Susan McCurdy. You are a very generous woman, always on the lookout for something someone might need. You have bought countless things for me or someone in my family, simply because you saw it and you thought we might want, like, or need it. You have an eye for what people like and you remember details that make your gifts even more special. Thank you.



My mother was caring and affectionate. I am a hugger by nature, and sometimes I just needed a hug. Mom was always there for me. When I was sick, she was the first to tell me to just be still and rest (something I am not very good at) and she always knew just what would make me feel better. To be honest, this is one of the hardest things for me. I miss my mom so much in this area and I know that no one will be able to replace it completely, but I want to say thank you to Jessica Molyneux. A few weeks ago when I was sick, she gave me very strict orders to go home and lay down. I took her advice and felt much better. :) She is also one who is quick to give a hug and for that I am thankful as well! Jessica is an inspiration to mothers everywhere I am sure, as she has just given birth to her fifth baby (and I don't think I have ever heard her snap or be ugly to your kids, or complain about her unsold house!) :) She is such a sweet woman, and I am very thankful for her, thanks Jess! Don't worry, we will get you a formal dress yet! (If no sooner than my wedding..;) )



Although these three women, (or groups of women ;) ) have been on my mind lately, obviously my sisters and sister-in-law are my primary "mothers" and I'm sure I take them for granted more often than not; they always do above and beyond what is required of them as sisters. They are not just family, but also the closest friends that I have, and I love them more than anything. They are great examples to me in godliness and strength as wives.



I say thank you to those of you who care about me and invest in me; I assure you, your investment will not be in vain! All of you have been helpful to offer household advice, recipes, and other things that I might need, so thank you for that as well! I love you all!



Remember, it is not about being a mother, but about being motherly to others. :)

Comments

Popular Posts