"Parting is such sweet sorrow"
It is time once again for me to say goodbye.
I leave Thursday morning to take that forever long drive back to Florida to return my sister and my boyfriend.
Upon hearing that I have been in an off and on long distance relationship (the long distance part is off and on, not the relationship part) for nearly three years; many people have commented, "How do you do it?" or "I know I could never be in a long-distance relationship" or "What is your secret?" So I decided to post.
To be honest, my relationship has lasted because of what it is and what it is about. When Daniel and I started dating over three and a half years ago, we had no idea what we were doing. He was sixteen, and I was seventeen. In a lot of ways we were just babies. We did understand two things though;
1. Our relationship had to be built on Jesus. If he wanted us together great, if not, also great.
2. Our relationship was a friendship first and foremost.
The first point, requires us to always be honest with one another. It requires us to confess our sins against each other, and ask for forgiveness. We dont hide anything. There is no point. Our relationship has to be built on Jesus, and Jesus wants us to be honest, so we are honest. This relieves most jealousies or suspicions that can be common in long-distance relationships.
Also, we pray for one another. If I know he has a big test coming up, I pray for him. If he knows I have a job-interview coming up, he prays for me. This is miraculous in what it does for us in our relationship with one another and with Jesus. When God answers a prayer, we can feel like we had a part in it. It also allows us to really get to know what is going on in each others' lives.
The second point requires open and sometimes pointless communication. We talk alot. Some days, we only get in five minutes here or there, and other days we talk for two or three hour stretches, but talking is important. We talk about what we did that day, what our plans are for the evening. We talk about our grades and our failures, and our, "I wish I would have responded differently here."s. We discuss our short term goals like tests and shedules, and our long term goals like careers and children. We do it with freedom, knowing that first, before we were anything else, we were friends.
As I look at the prospect of a collective 12 months of his absence over the next year and a half, I sigh, and maybe shed a few tears, and then I smile. I smile because of all of the rich blessings that God has provided us with thus far, and I smile because God holds us all in his hand, clinging to Him, knowing not what tomorrow holds. There really is no such thing as security in another person. I write the things I wrote above because God has blessed us, and allowed it to work thus far. Security only exists in the person of Jesus Christ and His promises. If I am resting in Him, than I am a secure individual. No person (no matter how wonderful) can ever be what Jesus is to me. In Him I am complete, and so I have the freedom to live my life in His will.
To be honest, I wrote this post as much for myself as for you, dear reader. I needed to stop and refelct on God's goodness, and remember that I truly have been blessed.
When we are far away, there are many good things;
1. We have longer, deeper conversations.
2. We learn to make new friends and rely on other people.
3. We have more time to immerse ourselves in ministry.
4. We tend to think about long-term goals more.
5. We look forward to times when we will be together.
6. We appreciate each other more.
7. We can send each other packages.
8. We can send each other letters.
9. We can email.
10. The reminder that my security exists in Christ alone.
I leave Thursday morning to take that forever long drive back to Florida to return my sister and my boyfriend.
Upon hearing that I have been in an off and on long distance relationship (the long distance part is off and on, not the relationship part) for nearly three years; many people have commented, "How do you do it?" or "I know I could never be in a long-distance relationship" or "What is your secret?" So I decided to post.
To be honest, my relationship has lasted because of what it is and what it is about. When Daniel and I started dating over three and a half years ago, we had no idea what we were doing. He was sixteen, and I was seventeen. In a lot of ways we were just babies. We did understand two things though;
1. Our relationship had to be built on Jesus. If he wanted us together great, if not, also great.
2. Our relationship was a friendship first and foremost.
The first point, requires us to always be honest with one another. It requires us to confess our sins against each other, and ask for forgiveness. We dont hide anything. There is no point. Our relationship has to be built on Jesus, and Jesus wants us to be honest, so we are honest. This relieves most jealousies or suspicions that can be common in long-distance relationships.
Also, we pray for one another. If I know he has a big test coming up, I pray for him. If he knows I have a job-interview coming up, he prays for me. This is miraculous in what it does for us in our relationship with one another and with Jesus. When God answers a prayer, we can feel like we had a part in it. It also allows us to really get to know what is going on in each others' lives.
The second point requires open and sometimes pointless communication. We talk alot. Some days, we only get in five minutes here or there, and other days we talk for two or three hour stretches, but talking is important. We talk about what we did that day, what our plans are for the evening. We talk about our grades and our failures, and our, "I wish I would have responded differently here."s. We discuss our short term goals like tests and shedules, and our long term goals like careers and children. We do it with freedom, knowing that first, before we were anything else, we were friends.
As I look at the prospect of a collective 12 months of his absence over the next year and a half, I sigh, and maybe shed a few tears, and then I smile. I smile because of all of the rich blessings that God has provided us with thus far, and I smile because God holds us all in his hand, clinging to Him, knowing not what tomorrow holds. There really is no such thing as security in another person. I write the things I wrote above because God has blessed us, and allowed it to work thus far. Security only exists in the person of Jesus Christ and His promises. If I am resting in Him, than I am a secure individual. No person (no matter how wonderful) can ever be what Jesus is to me. In Him I am complete, and so I have the freedom to live my life in His will.
To be honest, I wrote this post as much for myself as for you, dear reader. I needed to stop and refelct on God's goodness, and remember that I truly have been blessed.
When we are far away, there are many good things;
1. We have longer, deeper conversations.
2. We learn to make new friends and rely on other people.
3. We have more time to immerse ourselves in ministry.
4. We tend to think about long-term goals more.
5. We look forward to times when we will be together.
6. We appreciate each other more.
7. We can send each other packages.
8. We can send each other letters.
9. We can email.
10. The reminder that my security exists in Christ alone.





Tears.
ReplyDeleteOh, you special little thing -- beautifully written!
Carrie Kiser
Thanks so much Carrie! :)
ReplyDelete