Denial.


The story of Peter denying Jesus has always been such a touching story to me. We all have our mountain-top moments where we vow, "we will never deny Him!" and we throw our preverbial stick into the fire. 


But when the evening comes we are the first to cower. To act like we don't understand. To reject. To deny. 


Mountain-top moments that turn into depressing vallies of denial. A reality of any believers life.




But the good news? It doesn't end there. 


Where Peter denied Christ, he one day proclaimed Him that much the louder. He used those brutal memories of his own failed promise as a reminder to shout the name of Jesus that much more.


This Easter, are you denying Jesus or standing tall for him? Will you be celebrating this spring holiday because that's what we do as Americans? You buy the candy and the pretty dresses, but will you proclaim Him? 


Will you ask your neighbor to go to church? Will you enter into the body of believers with the glorious resurrection on your mind? 




Or will you deny Him? Will you sleep-in? Will your mind be centered around finishing the ham, or the egg hunt or "good gosh, why can't little Billy keep his shirt tucked in for the pictures?" 


This Easter, let's proclaim the glory  of The Lord. Let's focus on the beauty of the resurrection and the glorious hope that it brings to all who believe. 




Mark 14:28-31; 66-71; 



28 But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”

29 Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.”

30 “Truly I tell you,” Jesus answered,“today—yes, tonight—before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times.”

31 But Peter insisted emphatically, “Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you.” And all the others said the same.

-----------------------------------------

66 While Peter was below in the courtyard, one of the servant girls of the high priest came by. 

67 When she saw Peter warming himself, she looked closely at him.

“You also were with that Nazarene, Jesus,” she said.

68 But he denied it. “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about,” he said, and went out into the entryway.

69 When the servant girl saw him there, she said again to those standing around, “This fellow is one of them.” 

70 Again he denied it.

After a little while, those standing near said to Peter, “Surely you are one of them, for you are a Galilean.”

71 He began to call down curses, and he swore to them, “I don’t know this man you’re talking about.”

-------------------------------------------

John 21:17-19

17 The third time he said to him,“Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 

18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 

19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”



Comments

Popular Posts