Thrift Shop.
![]() |
| Daniel's (and now my) cousin, Julie. |
So we all know that "thrifting" is super in. Its environmentally and economically smart; and its just plain fun. After years of secondhand stores being somewhat faux pas, they are now being utilized by celebrities, as well as finding themselves the subject matter of rap songs.
I grew up shopping in thrift stores, if somewhat begrudgingly. My parents had five children, and it seemed the natural thing to do. I did enjoy it for the most part. I remember specifically going to "my sections." I would go through my size of clothes, hit up the toys, and then **my favorite!** the baby clothes!! I had a doll that fit real baby clothes, and oh my word, you could find the cheapest little baby sleepers! It was awesome!
As I got older, and started working--I had enough money to sort of leave the thrift shop scene. I also had less time to spend standing around sifting through someone else's old stuff. I continued to go to the occasional garage sale, but I pretty much bought all my clothes off of clearance racks.
When we got engaged and I started to plan my wedding. I renewed my love for formerly used items. I went to every garage sale I could get my hands on and I frequented secondhand stores. I found many items that I used for my wedding décor, as well as furniture and things for our new house. We have a gorgeous Armoire for our TV that Daniel's auntie bought us for $35 at an auction, and a coffee table that was a whopping $5.
What I didn't know at the time was that I married into one of the thrifitiest families you will ever find. My in-laws are like little thrift-fairies; flocking from thrift store to thrift store; finding these miraculous treasures.
Daniel's aunties are the absolute fairy queens! They are so great. I don't know if its their creativity or their super good treasure-hunting abilities, or maybe their X ray vision, but whatever it is, you can be sure that their great pair of shoes, designer purses, and DIY upcycled home furnishings, were not bought new.
![]() |
| Julie. (Is she not totally adorable?) |
Our dearest cousin Julie--the most beautiful redhead you will ever see, has gracefully followed her mother's and her aunt's footsteps, and she is like a little beacon shining on the light of the modern-day thrift-shop lover. I love seeing her instagram posts of the cutie little outfits that she puts together when she goes thrift shopping!
![]() |
| Darling peplum top, originally from Target, and some adorable riding boots she found thrifted. |
Since moving to Tennessee, I am blessed to be surrounded by some lovely secondhand stores and because we live in a nicer area, I really wanted to get back into thrifting! I decided to interview Julie, who I consider to be an expert in the field, and help all of us get a little education on the art of thrifting.
To begin, let me define what I mean by the word "Thrift". When I use the term "thrift" I mean "secondhand". So it could be from goodwill, a thrift store, consignment, garage sale, etc.
![]() |
| Nike shirt and adorable vintage hiking boots, thrifted. |
Emily:What types of things do thrift for?
Julie: Mostly clothing, but really anything and everything! That's what I love about thrifting, you can find almost anything!
Emily: What is the best thing you have ever gotten thrifted?
Julie: I'm not sure, it's hard to just pick one thing. Some of my favorite things to find are vintage items! I've found cameras, handbags, frames, old jars and of course, clothes!
Emily: What do you look for when looking for a good thrift store?
Julie: It kind of depends on what I'm looking to buy. Vintage and consignment shops sometimes have more "higher end" expensive items. Salvage or "found items" stores are generally great for decoration items. And then chain stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army are good if you want large variety of items at cheap prices. Location can sometimes be a factor, especially for chain thrift stores. I find, if the surrounding area is newer or has higher income you may find some more "expensive" or brand name items, or if it's a older part of town you may find some more vintage items. I will give pretty much any thrift store a chance, don't be turned off if it looks a little dingy; they can be the best spots for hidden treasures! Keep a look out wherever you are and check it out!
Emily: Is there anything you would avoid in a thrift store?
Julie: Undies. Otherwise, anything else it's fair game in my book! I would concur entirely.
Emily: What are some tips you would give to someone who was just getting started thrifting?
Julie: 1. Be patient and allow yourself plenty of time, there is a lot to look through.
2. Go in with an open mind. Even if you don't find what you where hoping to find, you may find something better!
3.Remember to look out for sales going on or deals in the newspaper.
4. If you can, try going earlier in the day (especially on the weekend) when it's not so picked through.
5. Before you buy, check the whole item to make sure there are no issues (some stores have plugs so you can try out electrical items) and check clothes for holes or stains.
6. Some stores, not to be named *cough* salvation army, staple their tags on clothing, so I would recommend carefully taking the tag off, while a store worker is watching, (so as you won't be called a tag switcher) to see if it left a hole.
7.Do a smell test - if it's really bad sometimes it's not worth it. Most items will probably smell a little...if so, the best way to get rid of smell is wash in hot water (unless the tag says not to) dump in some vinegar along with detergent and wash twice if needed. BARF! Would have never thought of that... but it makes so much sense!
![]() |
| What a treasure--that adorable white purse! |
Emily: What would you say to someone who said; "I don't like old lady clothes. Thrifting is not for me."
Julie: I've heard this before, some of my friends are not the biggest fans, imagine that! Remember it's not all old clothing, most thrift stores have a wide variety of items from old to even brand new items (sometimes with the tags still on) even so, a little creativity and maybe a bit of alteration can go along way! Also, remember there are so many different types of thrift places like consignment shops that carry gently used items if you just can get into "vintage" clothes. However, I personally am a fan of "old lady" clothes
Emily: Do you think you actually save money thrifting?
Julie: Absolutely! There is a temptation to buy items just because they are cheap but it can add up quick so just ask yourself realistically if you will use/wear that item. It does depend on where you go too, thrift items vary greatly. Also, try to bargain whenever you can at places like garage sales and some vintage/salvage type shops will bargain too.
Emily: Is it important to have a specific thing that you're looking for, or is it better to have a "just browsing" mentality?
Julie: I would say don't be too fixed on finding specific items because you may not be able to find those items this time. I may walk into a thrift store with a few things in mind and search those areas first, but I always browse the whole store so I don't miss a opportunity to find something really awesome!
Emily: What and where is your all-time favorite thrift store?
Julie: The chain thrift stores I frequently shop at are the Salvation Army, Goodwill and Plato's Closet. But some of my favorite thrift stores are the independent local thrift/vintage/"found item" stores in my area. Search around you, you may be surprised to find places you have never heard of before!
Emily: Why do you think thrifting is important?
Julie: A lot of thrift stores are for a good cause, so its a win/win for everyone. And it's a way for some people who can't afford much to find nice stuff. One thing that is really important to me is the love my mom and I share for thrifting. We have a lot of memories hunting for "treasure", finding that next DIY project or rare vintage item that we can't believe they marked $1.89! So find someone you love and go thrifting!
I agree with Julie entirely! Go thrifting this weekend! I'll see you there! ;)
Special thanks to Julie! That was so insightful, and honestly it was downright sweet!
Julie resides in Des Moines, Iowa and is an amateur photographer with Julie Marie Photography.







Comments
Post a Comment