Lydia at Thirteen.

Happy Birthday Lydia!

I cannot believe the way the years have flown by! It seems like yesterday, you were an ornery little preschooler finding trouble wherever you went. Oh you were so stinkin cute! 



So now, here we are and you're a teenager---and even as I type the words I'm getting choked up--because holy cow! If you're a teenager then that automatically means you're not a little girl and that just breaks my heart into about a thousand pieces.



Lyd--can I just stop a second and say, "thanks"? A birthday seems as good a time as any. I want to say, "Thank you for never making me have to work my butt off to get me to like you." You are that natural ball of energy and light that everyone wants to be a part of, and you welcomed me in so readily. 



Ever since you were three years old, I felt the admiration of your tiny heart and I returned it right back! 



There are about 5,000,000,000 things I love about you, Lyd. To think of just a few is insanely hard, but I'll give you 13... Since after all, you are 13 now! 



1. Your joyous spirit. Your middle name makes so much sense. "Joy" describes you perfectly, you have a semi-permanent smile on your face and you are always game for laughter.



2. Your positive attitude. Now I understand that you're a teenager and so there may be some days that you struggle with this one--but I am so thankful I can count on you to not be upset with me of something doesn't go your way. You usually take it in stride, understanding that life is full of ups and downs and you take the good with the bad.



3. Your friendly heart. You are a girl who makes friends easy! I love seeing you interact with so many different types of people. Please, never shut anyone out and be open to everyone. 



4. Being my co-pilot. I swear that wherever I'm going whatever I'm doing I can count on your wanting to come with me. It's awesome for someone like me who loves to have a sidekick! You are always the one who is game for everything. 



5. Your love for adventure and new things. You are never the Debbie Downer of the group. When trying to find something that everyone will like, it's like I don't even have to worry about you. I already know that you're game. 



6. Fashion sense. Girl, you are another sister to my ever growing repertoire. I love having you to shop with and I love seeing you grow into a gorgeous girl who is so stinkin cute and fashionable! 



7. Mothering qualities. The way you are with Tizza is absolutely amazing. I don't know if I was like that at 13, but I doubt it. This week as you guys have been staying with me, I have really realized just how much you do for her. From helping her find a matching outfit, to calming her down when she's upset, to explaining to me what she is trying to explain to me! Hah. It is so sweet to watch you with her and you are getting loads of practice for when you someday come be my nanny! ;) jk jk...



8. Your admiration of your sister. The way you look up to Anna absolutely melts my heart. Sometimes when you talk to me and really open up, it gives me a glimpse into the world of the little sister. See, I was the big sister for the most part, and it is good for me to see through your eyes for a change. I am glad that girls like Anna are your role models. She is beautiful inside and out and she loves Jesus and lives a life that pleases him! Never lose that sweet love for your older sister.



9. Relationship with your mother. I notice a comradery with your mom that I admire a lot. You seem comfortable to talk to her about nearly everything and I love that about you. It took me years to figure out that that's what moms are there for, and by the time I figured it out--I didn't have much time left with my mom. So cherish her, Lyd, and never lose that special bond.



10. Maturity. Because I knew you when you were 3, I can see so many many ways that you have grown into the beautiful teenage girl you are now. You have a loving servants spirit who never stops helping and ministering. That makes you such a great person to have around! 



11. Loyalty. You are friendly, but you are also true and loyal. You would choose blood over water any day. Your family is your life and you wouldn't throw them under the bus for any reason. 



12. The way you see boys. Teenage years undoubtedly mean boys, but you have such a great attitude about them. You are not a girl who is obsessive, wallowing in self-pity or in desperate need of a boyfriend. You are a confident young woman who is proud of who God has made you alone without any guy making you complete. However, your day will come... And I can't wait to watch you swoon... But when I'm just glad you're giving it several years before it does.



13.  The way you gave up being the baby to become the middle. This was so tough for you, and I think a lot of people overlook it. Your personality beckons for affirmation and when you were little you were always in the spotlight. Even after Jo came along you were still the baby girl and people still oohed and ahhed over you. Fast forward to when Tiz was born and I think that you went through a transformation period. I'm just so glad that you came out on the other side, ready and willing to be whatever God had for you. Can I just say, I'm so glad that Tis was born! You make way too cute of a big sister! 




All right... Those are my 13. I love you so much and I hope you enjoy this special day! You are a precious girl and I mean that from the bottom of my heart! Do not let anyone tell you that you are less than what God has made you to be! Thank you for being a huge ray of sunshine in my life, and you know I mean that!!



Here's to many more good times and many more Justin Beiber song-alongs in the car!!! I love you Lyd!!!

Love, Emily. 

Comments

Popular Posts