Valentines Day 2014
For a couple years, Daniel didn't have a cell-phone. Skype was blocked in those days, and neither of us were too keen on emails.
Daniel would use his dorm phone to call me. We talked for long, long hours, and we sent packages, letters, and goodies from a afar.
For the first Valentines Day that we were together--it was very special. I got to come home for the weekend and we spent the time together.
For the next four Valentines Days we were apart. Those were difficult for me--I love Valentines Day and it was really hard to not be with the man I loved!! I always made the best of it with All Girls Valentines Parties, and various baking and crafting rituals...but in honesty, I longed for the day that I could spend it with my true love!
Last year--we were blessed enough to be newlyweds together for our first Valentines Day. Daniel was working a lot and were weren't making a whole lot of money at the time. So I decided to make dinner for him. I also planned each day as a fun day for him leading up to Valentines Day. He was so sweet! He got me a gift, and I didn't know it at the time, but he planned on making it up to me by doing something extra special for me the following year.
Jump to this year--
My suspicions were mounting when he told me "yes he had plans" for Valentines Day, but he wouldn't tell me what they were or even clue me in at all. I got downright curious when he spent two nights in a row locked in his office until all hours, and I started freaking out when he was gone all day Wednesday "running errands."
I love surprises!
We celebrated on Thursday, due to some various complications, but that was fine with me!! It meant I didn't have to wait an extra day!
The day started off, well--sleepy. He woke me up with a cup of coffee and a note. The note told me that he had planned a Valentines Day scavenger hunt! I was so excited that I rushed to get ready. He also gave me a box of chocolates and a red rose.
The first stop was Rich's restaurant; which is like our all-time favorite place to have breakfast! I already knew what I wanted so I had no need to open my menu. Daniel kept badgering me; "are you sure that's what you want?"
"Yes!! Didn't you hear my French Toast Song that I made up in the shower? I know I want French Toast!"
Finally he gave up--"Emily, just open your menu."
So I'd did--and there was clue número 2 (and a Java Hut Gift Card so I can go there with my friends!)
It reminded me of the first place he ever saw me, and told me that it was there I would find my next clue... And he gave me another rose.
After finishing my French Toast--we headed to the church, which was the first place I ever saw him. It was in youth group, which at the time was meeting in the gym. So I made my way to the gym and found clue #3. This clue sent me on a wild goose chase all over the church, and more importantly, down memory lane!
He had chosen several spots in the church that meant something us and our relationship (not the least of which, being the Nursery where he had a seizure and my mom knew exactly what to do and gave him juice like the heroine that she was!!). We ended up at the location where (he claims) I walked up and sat next to him without him asking me to.
There I found Starla. A monkey wearing some sort of silky lingerie and singing "I'm Sexy and I know it." Mmmk. And that's my husbands humor... That, and making me press the play button in the hallway of the church right outside the office...
The next clue lead me to "our favorite place to have a picnic." After sitting down and trying to remember warmer days and seeing if I could actually recall what a picnic was--I guessed Kickapoo. Not only one of our favorite places to have a picnic, but one of my favorite places in general. Sometimes I just go there. To go there. I sit in my car and toll down the windows. I watch the deer. I take a million billion pics on my phone.
At my bidding, we went to one of the picnic spots we used for my birthday. I terapsed around in the snow until finally, I found a picnic table surrounded by rose petals and taped underneath it, another clue.
He have me a cookbook to help with our future picnicing-- and his note told of finding a new cozy picnic spot in TN.
My next clue told me that we were going to my favorite spot for lunch--Charlottes!
Charlottes is near and dear to my heart because; not only do I love the food, but I spent many occasions with my mother there also. I even went there for lunch with my Bridesmaids, the week of my wedding.
A Half Chicken Salad sandwich later--I had my next clue. The first song he wrote for me, and the place that he played it. On to the grand piano in the church auditorium!
He sat down and played me the song that he had written so many years ago. Some of the lyrics now make me laugh, others (most) make me cry. We were so young, but oh so in love. I remember leaving him to go to collage felt like absolute torture... That song had (and still does) meant so much to me!
The next clue lead me to get my favorite dessert. I wish I could remember the clue word for word because it was so cute...something like--"It's not the 'king' of desserts, but it it's the perfect 'midnight' snack. ... Something about dairy.."
Yeah, and that's why I'm not the one giving clues...
Anyway--I love Midnight Truffle Blizzards from Dairy Queen and so that's where the next clue was! He also gave me some Haribo gummy bears. No they weren't sugar free!! (If you don't get that joke--Look up Sugar Free Haribo gummy bears on Amazon and read the reviews)...
This one led me to the location of one of my favorite Christmases. Back to the church! (Note: Daniel and I spent so much time at the church in our early years. Both our dads worked there and my mom constantly had things going on there that she had to be there for. So we practically lived there and Daniel did live there...)
In the fireplace area I found another clue and a collage of notes that I had given to Daniel. The specific ones he chose, were from our early years together. I was brought to tears as I remember the newness of being in love. Of knowing for the first time that he felt the same way about me. It was so magical!
Next, I was taken back to the place where I had "spent most of my last 24 years." My home sweet home (aka Dads house). There ain't nothin like goin home.
When I got there, he had set up a game of Clue... and immediately, I knew why.
The first time he had ever come over to my parents house, it was Labor Day--and he had played Clue. If I remember correctly, the game was getting long, and my brother came in and looked at the confidential cards. (If you know my brother, you would know that this is totally typical of him...he wants to be the one in the know, with the answers.) So anyway, not sure how it happened, but he signaled to me the answer and I guessed it and "won" the game. Well this pretty much infuriated Daniel. He has never let me forget it.
So here I am at my dads, and he is telling me I have to play Clue and guess the right answer; without cheating. Then, and only then, will I get my next clue. Kinda sounds like an episode of a Criminal minds...
So finally I guess--and he leads me to the pile of quilts and tells me to reach inside. Abby warns me there might be some live creatures, but instead I pull out a black box and proclaim; "Jewels!!"
Jewels was right! A gorgeous diamond and pearl necklace! Pearls are my absolute favorite!
So that was probably one of my favorite stops--hello JEWELS!
Next clue lets me know that we will be going to my favorite Italian Restaurant for dinner! Biaggis!
He also graciously gave me time to get ready...which I super appreciate, because for me; half the fun of going out is the dressing up/getting ready part!
So Biaggis!!! A date with my true love and Daniel! Oh right...Daniel is my true love. But the butternut squash ravioli in brown butter sauce is definitely a close second.
As I'm looking at my menu (as I usually do, although I hardly ever stray) the host comes back and tells me they gave me the lunch menu. I totally fall for it and am closing it up about to give it back when I see the word "Dinner" plain as day, written on the front.
I argue with him a little and am baffled by his audacity to snatch my menu anyway, and hand me a new one. Then I'm like--"duh". And I open it and see another clue. ;)
This clue leads me back to the place where we "said our vows" so again; church. Daniel had practice with his Upward team, but he planned it just right.
When I got there and found the next clue, there was his laptop. I opened it up and watched as he had made a slideshow of our past 1 1/2 years of marriage!!! Instead of putting music to the pictures, he played the sound from our wedding video! Super neat!
Of course I was a blubbering mess... Seeing all of those wonderful moments. It's absolutely breathtaking. We have done so much in such a short time--which can only assure me that we have much more to go!
The last clue lead me back where I started. To our humble little abode. Our home.
When I walked in the front door I couldn't believe my eyes! In fact I let out some very strange noise that kind of sounded like a "awwwwwwohhhhhooooohhhh!"
Gorgeous {huge} bouquet of roses!!!! Rose petals EVERYWHERE!!!! And my favorite movie! It was so so so pretty! I really freaked out on that one!
And that was the grand finale. Grand it was. I can't express my awe and my thankfulness of him going to all of that trouble just for me! I was absolutely stunned beyond belief and I so didn't deserve it.
For those naysayers out there who told me the romance slowly does with marriage, I say--"muahahahaha!" Not if you're married to my husband!
This has really been a tough year for us in so many ways--but this was like a wonderful, beautiful, blessed reminder of where we've been; and an encouragement to keep on going.
I love you Daniel, Happy Valentines Day!

































Wow....impressively romantic!
ReplyDelete