Andrew.

Happy birthday to you. You are hands down, one of my favorite people in this entire earth. Wanna know why?



Confidence. You are so confident in who you are and you couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. In a world full of people pleasers (like me) it is refreshing to see someone who is who he is without constantly checking if everyone else is ok with who he is. Sometimes I wish I could just as easily roll my eyes at the world and saunter off like I own the joint. It's a talent, and I so admire it.



Adventure. A word that easily describes you! Or I suppose, "adventurous" since "adventure" is a noun... But anyway, you get the point. Ever since your Tom Sawyer days, when you used to stick it to the man and say "shoes, what shoes"? (because you never wore any and I'm not sure that you even owned any... ) I knew that you had an adventuring spirit that would live on. Sure, it looks different now. You don't spend all your time trying to find undiscovered species or recreating maps from Lord of the Rings (ok, that second one I'm not so sure about...) instead you adventure by discovery. You want to learn about everything. Nothing grosses you out or seems to difficult. Good thing your are studying to be a nurse; such an adventurous endeavor! 



Spontaneity. Nothing has to be planned years in advance with you. You're up for whatever. While I definitely view this as a family trait, yours shows up in a vibrant way. Like for instance, when I am wanting to go shopping at midnight on Thanksgiving, you don't even bat an eye... Or when I have all these grand schemes of traveling the world, you don't bore me with "reality" or other stupid life excuses. 



Andrew--you mean the absolute world to me. We've been friends for so long that it was just the frosting on the cake (birthday cake to be exact) that marrying Daniel also meant that I gained all of these wonderful new brothers and sisters; you being one that I have always thought of you like a brother, but now its official! 



I could go on and on rehashing old memories. (Remember that time we spelled our names out in Pennies on Alyssa's floor--random!) but I'll let you go with one final birthday wish; I wish that your year of 20 would be filled with all the confidence, adventure, and spontaneity that have filled your life all the years before, but this year I would like to add that you don't allow the harshness and bitter reality of life to change those things or dim the bright light of who you are.



I have told you a million times, Daniel and I are here for you. You are my only Andrew in the whole world, and nothing would ever be able to replace you in my heart! 

Happiest of Birthdays.

-Emily 


Comments

Popular Posts