i do.
So this is it--the post I wondered if I would ever get to write!
Lets start with Friday night. Besides being well aware that my groom and his posse didn't get to bed until after 4am, I was pretty relaxed on Friday. I really was. I wasn't nervous, just excited. I slept really well. I felt a little odd about that. Shea assured me that I would be tossing and turning, but I wasn't. Maybe physical exhaustion had overtaken my body to the point of where emotions didn't really matter anymore, but I'm not complaining, and I enjoyed that last night sleeping in the house I grew up in, laying next to my baby sister that I grew up with.
Saturday morning dawned early, but it didn't feel at all too early. I was so ready to start the day. This is the time where I dote on my wonderful bridesmaids. They helped me with absolutely everything! Made sure I had breakfast, made sure I had everything I needed, and that I was where I should be, when I should be. It was amazing! They really were the sweetest assistants I could ask for.
We got ready at my house per my request. There is just something about all the times I got ready in that house, how beautiful it is, and what a great part of my past it is. All of those formals, dates, and parties, and this was the culmination of all of that. Not to mention, it is a great place to take pictures.
One of my lovely photographers; Natalie Shipman did my make-up, and my amazing hair dresser, Lacey Darr, did my hair. My bridesmaids and sisters kept on saying, "Emily! You are seriously the most beautiful bride that we have ever, ever, ever seen! Really!" Maybe they were just saying that, but I can honestly say, I have never felt so beautiful. Which is how you are supposed to feel, correct?
There was some controversy over whether or not I should put my dress on at the house, I was going to wait until we got to the church, to save it from wrinkles and dirt, but then all of a sudden I just knew I wanted it on at that moment! So all my ladies stuffed me into the backseat of the Impala, and Abby chauffeured me to the church! Sidenote: Abby did not care as much about having her dress on, and did not wear it, to spare from wrinkles.
We had a close call when we arrived at the church because (and who knows what the odds are!) we passed Daniel's van turning in! I was adamant that he did not see me! Call me old fashioned, but--no please, call me old fashioned.
From that point, everything was kind of a rush. My mother-in-law brought me something to eat I think...or maybe that was later. We took a couple pictures with the bridesmaids, I freaked out over my bouquet, I freaked out over my cute nephews, and I wondered what Daniel was doing. Then, quick as a flash it was "go-time". There was this one moment where they all left me, and I just stood there waiting to be "called forth" and I remember feeling super nervous in that moment. Then they called my name and that was that.
I was concerned about being super emotional because of my mom and everything, but that's not really how it went at all. I missed her for sure--but my happiness so over-shadowed my sadness, that I didn't cry any sad tears. I got a little choked up, walking through that door, on my dad's arm. Knowing he was emotional, seeing all of those people, seeing my best friend beaming like he had just scored the winning shot. It was a good emotion though, and I love good emotion.
Oddly enough, the first thought that came into my mind when Daniel took my hand and we stood side-by-side was "Our bridesmaids are so beautiful!"...in fact I said that. I think you are supposed to say something really profound like, "You are the one." or "I love you more than anything" or "My whole life has lead up to this amazing moment"...and I did think those things, but I chose to say, "They are so pretty...everything is so pretty....they look so good! Everyone looks so good!!" Luckily, Daniel agreed.
Another thing that was really important for me was that I said my vows and my "I do" with conviction. I didn't want to just repeat after the pastor, I wanted to mean what I was saying. So I said them strongly and loudly and purposefully, and I was a little nervous I was starting to sound too eager....but then I watched the video and my voice sounded like a little girl squeaking along... so much for conviction.
I will pause right here and say that it is pretty amazing to hear someone say those words to you. "I vow to love, honor, and cherish you...till death do us part." Really? That was impacting. He didn't even waver, and he told me that he never doubted, never felt nervous, and had no inkling of cold feet ever. I love that guy.
Then, just like that, we were married. Finally. After all of the waiting, and preparing, and hoping, and expecting. It was done. and I was so happy.
So many people to congratulate and say that they love you. So many people to thank and hug and meet. It was fantastic. We had our first reception. It was indicative of a traditional reception--cake (gorgeous cake) and punch and lots of gifts. It went by in a blur! Before we knew it, we were lining up to run to our getaway truck. Those sweet church people really know how to toss that birdseed. Gracious. I was still spitting it out a half mile down the road. That's actually true. I got a ton in my mouth. Even after we were warned to close our mouths.
That car ride was hilarious. The first thing I asked him was what they did at the bachelor party. He told me and we laughed about that. Then I told him I was starving so we were literally getting ready to turn into McDonald's when we realized that neither one of us had any money on us...or phones for that matter! We had no idea what to do, so we drove around a bit before making out way back to the church for pictures.
The second reception was my invention. I wanted time to step back and enjoy the day with my close friends and my family. It was at my house, and involved really only my family, and a few other people who had gone far above their friendly duties to help us with the wedding. It was outside at my house, and it was gorgeous.
I had this feeling that I expected to feel when I walked in, and saw all of those lovely faces--but my expectations were blown out of the water. There are no words that describe how I felt. I was just so full and overflowing with happiness. Everything looked, tasted, felt, and sounded better than I had ever imagined. I really felt like the world stopped. I sat there with Daniel and all my favorite people, and I said, "I am so happy. This is perfect." and it really really was. There was nothing that could have made it better.
My guests might disagree and say that it was cold. It was chilly, but with the warmth of everything; including my wool wrap and the amazing coffee bar--it was perfect!
Daniel and my first dance was to "I wont give up" by Jason Mraz. It means so much to us because we have had some toughies throughout the years, definitely not the least of which was being so far away for so long. It wasn't only a salute to the past though, it was a promise for the future. We vowed for better or worse. For richer or for (and probably more likely) poorer. We don't plan on giving up. In fact, we plan on not giving up. We didn't just do this because it was "the next step" in our relationship. We did it because we mean it, and we want to mean it, and God has lead us to it.
The theme of our whole day was honeybees in honor of my mom. My mom loved bees! She would always tell me stories of how her grandpa raised bees, and how he would get all dressed up in his beekeeper suit and she was so in awe and so proud of him and how brave he was. She loved honey, good honey, the kind with the comb still in it (not me...I think it tastes like you are eating a candle and honey sandwich). She said she aways wanted some bees. But the main reason that Daniel and I chose bees was because his nickname for her was "Queen Bee", and so it just seemed fitting. It was also important to us that people knew that she would have more than approved of our wedding, having known and loved Daniel.
So the party continued on late into the evening. We were jammin' and celebrating, and well...the deck broke. Yeah. My brother predicted it, and it happened. We should have known that the "Cha-cha slide" probably wasn't the best bet. "Four hops this time"... Hop hop hop BOOM!!! haha. So we relocated, but it in no way put a damper on my most magical night! If anything, I was glad that people will remember it!
Our evening concluded with a lantern send-off. It was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. So neat!
and then.... happily ever after.
The end. or beginning. ;)
Lets start with Friday night. Besides being well aware that my groom and his posse didn't get to bed until after 4am, I was pretty relaxed on Friday. I really was. I wasn't nervous, just excited. I slept really well. I felt a little odd about that. Shea assured me that I would be tossing and turning, but I wasn't. Maybe physical exhaustion had overtaken my body to the point of where emotions didn't really matter anymore, but I'm not complaining, and I enjoyed that last night sleeping in the house I grew up in, laying next to my baby sister that I grew up with.
Saturday morning dawned early, but it didn't feel at all too early. I was so ready to start the day. This is the time where I dote on my wonderful bridesmaids. They helped me with absolutely everything! Made sure I had breakfast, made sure I had everything I needed, and that I was where I should be, when I should be. It was amazing! They really were the sweetest assistants I could ask for.
We got ready at my house per my request. There is just something about all the times I got ready in that house, how beautiful it is, and what a great part of my past it is. All of those formals, dates, and parties, and this was the culmination of all of that. Not to mention, it is a great place to take pictures.
One of my lovely photographers; Natalie Shipman did my make-up, and my amazing hair dresser, Lacey Darr, did my hair. My bridesmaids and sisters kept on saying, "Emily! You are seriously the most beautiful bride that we have ever, ever, ever seen! Really!" Maybe they were just saying that, but I can honestly say, I have never felt so beautiful. Which is how you are supposed to feel, correct?
There was some controversy over whether or not I should put my dress on at the house, I was going to wait until we got to the church, to save it from wrinkles and dirt, but then all of a sudden I just knew I wanted it on at that moment! So all my ladies stuffed me into the backseat of the Impala, and Abby chauffeured me to the church! Sidenote: Abby did not care as much about having her dress on, and did not wear it, to spare from wrinkles.
We had a close call when we arrived at the church because (and who knows what the odds are!) we passed Daniel's van turning in! I was adamant that he did not see me! Call me old fashioned, but--no please, call me old fashioned.
From that point, everything was kind of a rush. My mother-in-law brought me something to eat I think...or maybe that was later. We took a couple pictures with the bridesmaids, I freaked out over my bouquet, I freaked out over my cute nephews, and I wondered what Daniel was doing. Then, quick as a flash it was "go-time". There was this one moment where they all left me, and I just stood there waiting to be "called forth" and I remember feeling super nervous in that moment. Then they called my name and that was that.
I was concerned about being super emotional because of my mom and everything, but that's not really how it went at all. I missed her for sure--but my happiness so over-shadowed my sadness, that I didn't cry any sad tears. I got a little choked up, walking through that door, on my dad's arm. Knowing he was emotional, seeing all of those people, seeing my best friend beaming like he had just scored the winning shot. It was a good emotion though, and I love good emotion.
Oddly enough, the first thought that came into my mind when Daniel took my hand and we stood side-by-side was "Our bridesmaids are so beautiful!"...in fact I said that. I think you are supposed to say something really profound like, "You are the one." or "I love you more than anything" or "My whole life has lead up to this amazing moment"...and I did think those things, but I chose to say, "They are so pretty...everything is so pretty....they look so good! Everyone looks so good!!" Luckily, Daniel agreed.
Another thing that was really important for me was that I said my vows and my "I do" with conviction. I didn't want to just repeat after the pastor, I wanted to mean what I was saying. So I said them strongly and loudly and purposefully, and I was a little nervous I was starting to sound too eager....but then I watched the video and my voice sounded like a little girl squeaking along... so much for conviction.
I will pause right here and say that it is pretty amazing to hear someone say those words to you. "I vow to love, honor, and cherish you...till death do us part." Really? That was impacting. He didn't even waver, and he told me that he never doubted, never felt nervous, and had no inkling of cold feet ever. I love that guy.
Then, just like that, we were married. Finally. After all of the waiting, and preparing, and hoping, and expecting. It was done. and I was so happy.
So many people to congratulate and say that they love you. So many people to thank and hug and meet. It was fantastic. We had our first reception. It was indicative of a traditional reception--cake (gorgeous cake) and punch and lots of gifts. It went by in a blur! Before we knew it, we were lining up to run to our getaway truck. Those sweet church people really know how to toss that birdseed. Gracious. I was still spitting it out a half mile down the road. That's actually true. I got a ton in my mouth. Even after we were warned to close our mouths.
That car ride was hilarious. The first thing I asked him was what they did at the bachelor party. He told me and we laughed about that. Then I told him I was starving so we were literally getting ready to turn into McDonald's when we realized that neither one of us had any money on us...or phones for that matter! We had no idea what to do, so we drove around a bit before making out way back to the church for pictures.
The second reception was my invention. I wanted time to step back and enjoy the day with my close friends and my family. It was at my house, and involved really only my family, and a few other people who had gone far above their friendly duties to help us with the wedding. It was outside at my house, and it was gorgeous.
I had this feeling that I expected to feel when I walked in, and saw all of those lovely faces--but my expectations were blown out of the water. There are no words that describe how I felt. I was just so full and overflowing with happiness. Everything looked, tasted, felt, and sounded better than I had ever imagined. I really felt like the world stopped. I sat there with Daniel and all my favorite people, and I said, "I am so happy. This is perfect." and it really really was. There was nothing that could have made it better.
My guests might disagree and say that it was cold. It was chilly, but with the warmth of everything; including my wool wrap and the amazing coffee bar--it was perfect!
The theme of our whole day was honeybees in honor of my mom. My mom loved bees! She would always tell me stories of how her grandpa raised bees, and how he would get all dressed up in his beekeeper suit and she was so in awe and so proud of him and how brave he was. She loved honey, good honey, the kind with the comb still in it (not me...I think it tastes like you are eating a candle and honey sandwich). She said she aways wanted some bees. But the main reason that Daniel and I chose bees was because his nickname for her was "Queen Bee", and so it just seemed fitting. It was also important to us that people knew that she would have more than approved of our wedding, having known and loved Daniel.
So the party continued on late into the evening. We were jammin' and celebrating, and well...the deck broke. Yeah. My brother predicted it, and it happened. We should have known that the "Cha-cha slide" probably wasn't the best bet. "Four hops this time"... Hop hop hop BOOM!!! haha. So we relocated, but it in no way put a damper on my most magical night! If anything, I was glad that people will remember it!
Our evening concluded with a lantern send-off. It was quite possibly the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. So neat!
and then.... happily ever after.
The end. or beginning. ;)


Comments
Post a Comment