"Wait on the Lord..."
I am inspired by the human mind. That is why I am a psychology major.
The human mind is a beautiful and intricate jewel that can never be fully understood.
What inspires me even more is when God moves through someone and you see a glimpse of the mind of God. Like when a person does something good. Like the guy at Aldi who told me to keep my "cart quarter". Or the three people who let me go in front of them in line because I was only buying flowers. Like when my sweet boyfriend went out of his way to make my best friend feel special.
This story is kind of like that. Its about a person who is good.
No. I should rephrase that; God's goodness shines through her. She is mortal human like me and you. She makes mistakes. She falls down. She dabbles with things she shouldn't.
Sometimes she shines though. She lifts her head up and takes a look around and says, "Thank you Jesus!" even when things are tough.
She is my sister.
Abby is so close to me that I can't even begin to write a post about her without tearing up. She is my baby sister and in some ways more like my little girl. Especially since my mom died I have felt this special connection with her. She needs me. I need her.
We nearly kill each other, as sisters do, but when the warpaint dries she's the one who's ready for a big hug! Oh wait...that's me. She hates hugs... Anyway... her story... ahem:
Unfortunately we live in a dinky town where everyone knows everyone knows everyone. We also live in a town where probably 69.8% of people marry their high school sweetheart. My sweet angel sister has been gorgeous her entire life. She has also had her share of boyfriends. Now, I would venture to say that if we lived anywhere else or had any other friends that we probably wouldn't even think twice about it. But we don't, and people talk. People always talk.
College is a new place to start over. That was the plan. So she did her Abby thing and started gathering a following of gentlemen. She dated here and there, and had some really cute ones in my opinion, but nothing ever stuck. She started getting teased for it like, "What guy are you on this week, Abby?" or "Its the boyfriend of the month club." Things like that. She would quietly resent it, but outwardly act like it didn't phase her.
In fact, it was almost becoming her identity. If everyone thought that's who she was, well maybe that's who she was.
Then she met Tyler. For her he was the best friend kind of guy. That guy you text when you have a bad day, when your roommates are annoying the crap out of you, or just because you like talking to him. There was no pressure to be something more. No "same old routine" not with him. They were friends for months before she started wondering if there was more to their ever-lengthening outings spent together.
Tyler made it clear to her that he only wanted a friendship. He was neither ready, nor willing to have anything more. So Abby waited. Other guys pursued her but she didn't really care. Her heart was already with Tyler, even if he wasn't ready for her.
Her friends began to tease them about their closeness. I am not going to pretend to exclude myself from this exercise, as I was often the one calling Tyler her "husband" and pushing her to make it official.
Finally, after a whole summer of friendly texting and even a couple months of being back at school but only as friends, Tyler revealed to her that he was ready to take the next step. Abby was so excited to finally start this relationship. Already miles away from any relationship she had experienced before. I could see she was really thrilled about this one. In fact, I know she was because she called me the night he asked her out. I've never heard her sound so excited.
When I went to visit her for Thanksgiving I was able to observe their relationship in person. He was loving toward her in ways that I hadn't really seen. Like he put up with her crap (no offense, Abby). She loved him too, I could tell. Like when he went all wack-a-doo from his medicine and she consoled him that it didn't matter. It was sweet. I hoped with my whole heart that for their sakes, it would last.
I've heard it said that God puts trials in the lives of those who are his strongest, bravest. Those he knows won't back down from a fight. His warriors. He gives them the tough battles. The difficult wars.
Out of the blue, Tyler's pre-law major was removed from the school. They just switched it to a different major. They didn't explain or apologize, just poof gone. Tyler was so sick from stress that Abby had no idea what was even going on. After much contemplation, he called his parents.
This is where the story gets rough. Tyler's parents were sure of just one thing; that he needed to remove his relationship with Abby.
They said, "God is surely giving you a sign by removing your major, he wants you at a different school, and he doesn't want you with her."
Well I don't know about you, but my heart just broke. and this story isn't even about me.
Right then and there, you know what Tyler could have said? "I am a legal adult. I love this woman. I want her in my life. Screw you mom and dad."
But do you know what he did? What beautiful choices he made? He said, "My parents are smarter than I am. They know what they're talking about. God put them in my life for a reason. Maybe something better will come of this."
So what of Abby? Well if you know my sister, you know the anger that could ensue from a situation like this. Instead, she is calm. She is at peace. Sad, yes, but at peace. She knows her Jesus will never leave her. She knows he loves her and that he is doing this for her good.
The boy she waited for. She now has to wait for again.
Maybe it will never come of anything. Maybe the only purpose of this relationship was to teach them beautiful things and make them more like Jesus. Or maybe...maybe it will be a short time and then a glorious reunion between them, full of love and freedom such as they have never known. I don't know what it will be. I do know that God blesses those who seek and do his will, and therefore they will be greatly blessed.
I think this is one of those moments where I see the mind of God working in and through my little sister and her friend. Where I glimpse it for only a moment and I wonder at what a glorious God he must be.
"Wait on the LORD: be of good courage , and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait , I say, on the LORD. "
Psalm 27:14
The human mind is a beautiful and intricate jewel that can never be fully understood.
What inspires me even more is when God moves through someone and you see a glimpse of the mind of God. Like when a person does something good. Like the guy at Aldi who told me to keep my "cart quarter". Or the three people who let me go in front of them in line because I was only buying flowers. Like when my sweet boyfriend went out of his way to make my best friend feel special.
This story is kind of like that. Its about a person who is good.
No. I should rephrase that; God's goodness shines through her. She is mortal human like me and you. She makes mistakes. She falls down. She dabbles with things she shouldn't.
Sometimes she shines though. She lifts her head up and takes a look around and says, "Thank you Jesus!" even when things are tough.
She is my sister.
Abby is so close to me that I can't even begin to write a post about her without tearing up. She is my baby sister and in some ways more like my little girl. Especially since my mom died I have felt this special connection with her. She needs me. I need her.
We nearly kill each other, as sisters do, but when the warpaint dries she's the one who's ready for a big hug! Oh wait...that's me. She hates hugs... Anyway... her story... ahem:
Unfortunately we live in a dinky town where everyone knows everyone knows everyone. We also live in a town where probably 69.8% of people marry their high school sweetheart. My sweet angel sister has been gorgeous her entire life. She has also had her share of boyfriends. Now, I would venture to say that if we lived anywhere else or had any other friends that we probably wouldn't even think twice about it. But we don't, and people talk. People always talk.
College is a new place to start over. That was the plan. So she did her Abby thing and started gathering a following of gentlemen. She dated here and there, and had some really cute ones in my opinion, but nothing ever stuck. She started getting teased for it like, "What guy are you on this week, Abby?" or "Its the boyfriend of the month club." Things like that. She would quietly resent it, but outwardly act like it didn't phase her.
In fact, it was almost becoming her identity. If everyone thought that's who she was, well maybe that's who she was.
Then she met Tyler. For her he was the best friend kind of guy. That guy you text when you have a bad day, when your roommates are annoying the crap out of you, or just because you like talking to him. There was no pressure to be something more. No "same old routine" not with him. They were friends for months before she started wondering if there was more to their ever-lengthening outings spent together.
Tyler made it clear to her that he only wanted a friendship. He was neither ready, nor willing to have anything more. So Abby waited. Other guys pursued her but she didn't really care. Her heart was already with Tyler, even if he wasn't ready for her.
Her friends began to tease them about their closeness. I am not going to pretend to exclude myself from this exercise, as I was often the one calling Tyler her "husband" and pushing her to make it official.
Finally, after a whole summer of friendly texting and even a couple months of being back at school but only as friends, Tyler revealed to her that he was ready to take the next step. Abby was so excited to finally start this relationship. Already miles away from any relationship she had experienced before. I could see she was really thrilled about this one. In fact, I know she was because she called me the night he asked her out. I've never heard her sound so excited.
When I went to visit her for Thanksgiving I was able to observe their relationship in person. He was loving toward her in ways that I hadn't really seen. Like he put up with her crap (no offense, Abby). She loved him too, I could tell. Like when he went all wack-a-doo from his medicine and she consoled him that it didn't matter. It was sweet. I hoped with my whole heart that for their sakes, it would last.
I've heard it said that God puts trials in the lives of those who are his strongest, bravest. Those he knows won't back down from a fight. His warriors. He gives them the tough battles. The difficult wars.
Out of the blue, Tyler's pre-law major was removed from the school. They just switched it to a different major. They didn't explain or apologize, just poof gone. Tyler was so sick from stress that Abby had no idea what was even going on. After much contemplation, he called his parents.
This is where the story gets rough. Tyler's parents were sure of just one thing; that he needed to remove his relationship with Abby.
They said, "God is surely giving you a sign by removing your major, he wants you at a different school, and he doesn't want you with her."
Well I don't know about you, but my heart just broke. and this story isn't even about me.
Right then and there, you know what Tyler could have said? "I am a legal adult. I love this woman. I want her in my life. Screw you mom and dad."
But do you know what he did? What beautiful choices he made? He said, "My parents are smarter than I am. They know what they're talking about. God put them in my life for a reason. Maybe something better will come of this."
So what of Abby? Well if you know my sister, you know the anger that could ensue from a situation like this. Instead, she is calm. She is at peace. Sad, yes, but at peace. She knows her Jesus will never leave her. She knows he loves her and that he is doing this for her good.
The boy she waited for. She now has to wait for again.
Maybe it will never come of anything. Maybe the only purpose of this relationship was to teach them beautiful things and make them more like Jesus. Or maybe...maybe it will be a short time and then a glorious reunion between them, full of love and freedom such as they have never known. I don't know what it will be. I do know that God blesses those who seek and do his will, and therefore they will be greatly blessed.
I think this is one of those moments where I see the mind of God working in and through my little sister and her friend. Where I glimpse it for only a moment and I wonder at what a glorious God he must be.
"Wait on the LORD: be of good courage , and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait , I say, on the LORD. "
Psalm 27:14





Emily--this brought back some sad memories for myself. Some latent anger and fear I hadn't known was still there. Thank you for your honest post. Thank you for the testimony to Loving Father! Thank you, Abby, for your gracious response, and I am praying for you. And thank you, Jesus, for seeing into the future when my heart can't see past the tears. Much love to you both, Jessica
ReplyDelete