Rosalie: Birth Story Part I
Dear Rosie--
You're not going to care about this story for a number of years. But someday, you will.
Mamas like to preserve things for their children because its one of our many callings. We have to tell you the stories.
I was so excited for you to come, but I couldn't possibly imagine how it would be. Would it hurt? would I cry? Would I be impatient, or would it go way too fast?
All these questions and so many more tossed around in my mind for weeks and weeks before you came.
![]() |
| The guesses from my friends on when you would be born! |
But then you decided you weren't quite ready. You calmed down and you settled in for a couple more weeks. I never felt contractions like most people feel, I just felt uncomfortable cramps and that was very confusing for me! Remember, I had never done this before!
A few days before your due date. It was a Thursday night. I woke up in the middle of the night and my tummy hurt so so bad. I went potty like I did a million times every night, but this time my tummy hurt so bad that I couldn't go back to sleep. This time, I woke Daddy up. We talked about it and decided that we should go to the hospital just in case.
I felt so bad because I hated waking Daddy up in the middle of the night. But he was so good about it. He didn't care at all, and said he would rather be sure and go ahead and go to the hospital. So Daddy packed the car, I grabbed a granola bar and a bottle of water, and we headed out into the night.
![]() |
| My last bump picture, about a week before you were born. (39 weeks) |
I remember seeing the Nashville skyline in the distance and getting so nervous. Downtown Nashville was where the hospital was. I couldn't decide if I was ready for you to come or not. Mostly I was scared that the nurses would tell me I was crazy, and that I woke Daddy up for no reason.
When we got to the hospital, I started feeling better right away. The lady told me I wasn't crazy and that its always better to be safe than sorry. When the nurse checked me she said "It will definitely be soon!" Then they said they were going to leave me for an hour and come back to check on me.
While we were waiting to be checked again, Daddy and I walked all around the hospital. We made lots of loops around the nurses' desk. Trying to get you to come. Daddy held my hand the whole time.
The nurse came back in to check me again and she said that everything was exactly the same. She asked if I was having any contractions and I wasn't. She said things were close, but they were just frozen in time. So I guess you weren't quite ready yet. Or maybe you were having second thoughts just like me.
After three more tries of walking around the hospital and being checked by the nurse, they told us we needed to go home and rest--because it still might be a few more days. I was so tired by then, that I was happy to go home and go to sleep, but I felt sad for Daddy because he was going to have to head straight to work after he dropped me off.
On our way home, we stopped and got Pumpkin Spice Krispy Kreme. Mommy wanted some so bad, and they were only available that one day! Daddy texted his boss on the way home and he told him to go home and rest with me. I was so happy! I did not want to be at home all alone, just in case you changed your mind and decided to come.
We went home and slept for a long time. We were both so tired.
The next morning was Saturday and we woke up with lots of energy. I was feeling so great, and it was gorgeous weather outside. I asked Daddy if we could spend a fun day together and he suggested we go downtown to the park and walk around. I asked if we could eat at the Grilled Cheeserie which is one of my favorite places to go in Nashville. It just so happened that the food truck was in the park that day, so we headed into town.
Before we left, Daddy asked if we should pack up the car and I said I didn't know. It was hard to believe that you would ever want to come out!
Daddy was smart and decided to pack up the car just in case.
We took the long way to the hospital. Down winding roads and twists and turns. That’s something Mommy and Daddy loved to do before you came! We took lots of long drives on nice sunny days with our sunroof open.
Once we got downtown, we parked the car and started walking. I stopped and went to the bathroom... because I did that about 15 times a day now. We could see the food trucks in the distance and I was so excited to get some grilled cheese! That’s how pregnant mamas are. They think about food a lot. (Well let’s face it—that’s how your Mama is in general).
We walked a little farther and....
Something happened.
I felt some yucky hot liquid pouring down my legs and into my shoes...
I looked at Daddy with a panicked look on my face.
“My water just broke.”
I showed him my wet jeans. I took off the shirt I had over my tank top and wrapped it around my waist. I was so so embarrassed. And we were not very close to the car, so Daddy offered to go get it. I told him he couldn’t leave me alone, I was too scared. Every step to the car felt disgusting as more liquid came out. I really thought people would think I was peeing my pants, but Daddy pointed to my giant belly and said, “I think they will know what’s happening.”
I was half crying/half laughing the whole way to the car.
Before I got in, Daddy found a blanket to put on the seat... or maybe a jacket? I’m not sure, but something! When we got in the car we looked at each other like, “Now what?”
We were so close to the hospital and I was starving (no grilled cheese for me) so I asked Daddy to take me through the McDonald's drive through. Part of me was way too excited and nervous to eat, but the other part of me knew that I was gonna need some calories in my body in the near future!
One ranch chicken wrap later, we walked (well Daddy walked, I waddled—nothing like a nine month belly and wet jean shorts to make you walk funny) into St Thomas Midtown Hospital.
We checked in so fast because we had just been there a couple days before. Everyone was very nice to us but they could not believe that I was not in any pain, and they really didn’t think that I was in labor. But I told them about all the liquid at the park and so they tested me and after an hour they came back and said I was right, that my water did break—so I would have to have the baby soon.My heart leaped and I was so excited. I quickly texted Aunt Abby and Aunt Gretchen. Aunt Abby told me they were about three hours away, they had already left IL on a hunch that I would have you in the next few days. Aunt Gretchen said she could leave immediately from Louisville and that she would be there in about three hours also. Everything was working together so well! Daddy called Grammy and Grandpa too, and I called Grandad.
We were so so so excited and so so scared! We were about to meet our precious girl!






I have never read this until today. What a treasure of a story! True stories are the best gifts!
ReplyDelete