Why Anniversary Pictures?
Everyone gets wedding pictures, right? It's the only true way to make sure you can remember that amazing day. Not many people continue the tradition and get them every single year. I get it, professional photographs can be expensive, time consuming, and just another thing to add to the to-do list. With phones in our pockets, it doesn't always seem worth it. I'd have to disagree, and I'll tell you why. We take photographs;
1. For the memories.
Who doesn't want to look back and savor the years with your spouse? We've only been married four years, but things have already changed in that small amount of time. When you look at a photograph it evokes memories of that day and that era of your life that you otherwise can't conjure on your own. We fill our walls and photo books with these memories, and phone pics just don't quite do the memories justice.
2. For our children.
We don't have kids yet--but God willing we will someday, and if there is one thing I've learned from my own parents--you can never take too many pictures. When my mom died, it was like a mad scramble to find every picture that my parents ever took together; and honestly--that reserve was lacking. I want my kids to be surrounded by photographs and memories of us in our younger years before kids when we were madly in love and it showed on our faces. There are very few things I wouldn't trade for more photographs of my parents.
3. For the strength of our marriage.
On your wedding day you take photographs to preserve memories, but any wedding photographer will tell you--some of the best photos are the candid ones. Why? Because those couples are caught up in the emotion of the day that is brought to the surface by the reason that they are there. Every year when Daniel and I get our pictures taken again--I'm reminded of those same emotions. We are here because we have decided to stay committed to our marriage. We are here because we are still in love.
4. For intimacy.
Literally. Taking pictures is something that forces physical closeness. In marriage, especially as time goes by, physical closeness can become harder and harder. Of course there is sex, but when was the last time you sat on your husband's lap and had to hold that pose for a good 30 seconds? For us, we share intimacy in the silly poses too. Daniel tickles me to make me laugh, and picks me up to carry me over the threshold. Things that I can't say occur in our everyday lives.
5. For how we view one another.
Our photographer is also one of my best friends, and one thing I love about her is the way she often poses us. Daniel looking at me while I look at the camera. "I just love the way he's looking at you." She says. It's true, and if I didn't hire a photographer to capture it, I would never know. Those little stolen glances are something that a selfie won't quite save for you. You see each other every day, sure, but having pictures of one another to view together brings forth new eyes. You see each other as subjects of artwork and find beauty in things that you had all but forgotten about.
6. For reflection on our blessings.
This year was hard for us, and the longer I'm married--I detect a theme. Life is hard and marriage is hard. For starters, I definitely thought our 4th year anniversary pictures would feature a tiny McCurdy, or at least a baby bump--but it was not to be. Sometimes it is hard to focus on what we have, and instead we wallow in what we don't. Looking through pictures of you and your spouse can remind you of the precious gift that God has given you. Its a good chance to pause and reflect on your beautiful blessings.
I hope that I have inspired some couples out there to make this a yearly tradition. If you're looking for a good photographer--I got you covered!!

Comments
Post a Comment