My Nest is Best.

This post is meant to be more of a book review; but "book review" doesn't exactly do justice to what this book has meant to me in the last couple of months.


A panoramic view of our living room. Complete with numerous crafts.


The Nesting Place by Myquillyn Smith is supposed to be about decorating, but that's just how she lures you in. Its so much more than that. Soon after moving, my sister sent me the book as a birthday gift.





The cover art is beautiful. So that always intrigues me (I know, I know. I'm sorry! I judge books by their covers--so sue me!) and I began reading it as soon as I got it in the mail.


My DIY fairy twinkle lights began as a Christmas decoration, but I loved them so much, I left them up!


When I began reading the book (as I find is true with many books that end up changing my life) my first thought was, "I don't need this book. I love my house." But those are just the type of thoughts that tend to rebound and smack me in the face a few weeks later. 


Absolutely love that our apartment has a fireplace.


Like I said; this is not a decorating book. This is a gratitude book. And you know what those do to me! As I continued to read, I felt like the author had written her words just for me. 


There was an ugly metal grate in our apartment that caught your eye when you first walked in. So I made a magnetic calendar to cover it up. Now no one notices the metal grate; everyone notices my one-of-a-kind calendar.


She addresses those of us who are renters who feel our decorating potential is limited. She addresses those of us who  are on a tight budget and can't afford custom curtains. She addresses those of us who have Pinterest boards full of "future house" plans.


One of my favorite watercolor paintings. It is a feature on the top shelf of my coffee & tea bar.


But underlying all of those conditions is usually a heart that is unhappy and unsatisfied and not a joyful, grateful heart. It's absolutely full of quotes that you wish you could needle-point on a pillow or paint with watercolors. Oh wait.. I did watercolor one of them. Anyway, it's inspirational to say the least.

She has this beautiful portion where she tells about her trip to Africa and her little Compassion International sponsored child shows her his house, and you will absolutely be blubbering like a baby. 


My fireplace mantle; complete with a strange assortment of things I love. Including bees. I love bees.


But I hasten to say that at the same time this book is not about shaming people who live in big houses and making them feel bad because they have more than people in Africa. The whole thing is just about being in love with where you are.

And I'm totally down with that.


Baskets for bathroom shelves. One of those Pinterest finds that I actually carried out.


I noticed that it changes the way I look at things. She is a huge supporter of your house looking "lived in" and not "staged" and it has allowed me to let go of one or two of the things that I used to be way too stressed about. Its about letting yourself and those around you (kids and husbands included) live in their houses and not feel guilty about it.


Another thing that the author and I have in common is that we both love to display our jewelry and make it apart of our home décor!


I also change the way I Pinterest. I don't pin boards like "maybe someday" or "my dream home" because you know what? I can have my dream home now. I pin things that I know will fit me and my lifestyle. It doesn't mean I don't pin those infinity bathtubs that 0.0001% of the population actually own; it means I pin it because it's beautiful and not because I am waiting and longing for the day when I will actually get one.


One of about 5,000 chalkboards I have on display. I mean come on, they have to be the most versatile pieces of artwork in the world.


My home is exactly what I want it to be.
It's in an apartment complex with a million that are just like it. On the outside.
Inside--it's full. Full of love, creativity, quirk, silly projects, pretty dishes, photographs, paintings, used furniture, ikea shelves, and two people who love each other and this new adventure that they're on together. 


My cozy porch. Perfect for watching rainstorms with a cup of tea and growing herbs. Only the second part started out well, and ended horribly. Next time I leave town for a week--I'll remind my husband to water them.


Honestly--I wouldn't trade it for a mansion in Beverly Hills if it means I'd have to give any of that up. 


My favorite place.


Go read the book. It's amazing. 


Comments

Popular Posts