The storm.


So as Im sure you have all heard through the media that some huge whopper storms went through the Midwest yesterday, and primarily some major ones in central IL, where we just so happen to live.

Well I'm not going lie, I hate storms. I really do and from the time I read the weather Saturday night and realized that there were some nasty fronts coming this way, my heart beat a little bit faster. 

Ironic? Is that the right word? Ironic that our entire congregation was asked to list things we were thankful for as we left from Sunday School and went to church. The little slips of paper all stapled up on the drawing of a tree. I read some of those slips; they said things like "husband", "friends", "Salvation", "Prayer", and "food". It was a beautiful sight to behold and it made me realize all of the people who's hearts were in the right place. The reason I see the irony in it is because when big scary things happen we are usually called to realize the things that mean so much to us... But we were kind of one step ahead. 

Miraculous. Miraculous is the word I would use to describe the timing of our day. Daniel had to be at the church at 2:00pm to play basketball. We live about 20 minutes away from the church. That puts us leaving at about 1:30. The tornado warnings went off at 1:25, and we have no basement. But we weren't home. My husband is wise and smart and frugal and by "random chance" we decided to have lunch with his parents. When the sirens did go off, we had just finished lunch and grabbed mugs of coffee before making our way to their soft and cozy basement. 

Relieved. I was relieved to find out that my daddy, too, was safe and sound. Instead of being en route or even home all alone, he was still at the church, and upon hearing the sirens made his way to the church basement where a couple of other weary travelers also made their way. 

Blessed. I realized how blessed I am. I almost wish I could take down my little 'thankfulness slip' and scribble out what I wrote and write, "My family." What is it with me that it has taken me this long to realize how blessed I am to have such amazing in-laws. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've had my 'getting used to this' period and there have been awkward moments and hurt feelings and even small arguments over the years. Its not like I never appreciated them; I did. I have always felt content with the family I married into. For heavens sake, some of my best friends who know me the best are Daniel'a brothers. But it was like today, I stepped back and looked at the situation from the outside. I saw a family who truly cared about one another as we all filed to the basement and made sure that no one was left. When we shuffled into the back bedroom after it started getting bad, I saw them all snuggling together. I saw my mother-in-law handing us all pillows to cover our heads. "Most people die from head injuries, when they die in tornadoes." She said, making sure we each had one. We all chuckled a little bit at Joseph who worried innocently that his life had been too short. Maybe secretly we were all thinking about the span of our lives. What we had done, what we had yet to do. Daniel grabbed a guitar (another thing I love about my in laws, no room without an instrument) and softly played.  After a few instrumentals we all started to sing. We sang songs of worship. All of the voices of our family softly harmonizing in the dark. Another reason I love those guys; not afraid to sing it out. When we came out of hiding? Everything was as it should be. Like I said, blessed. 

Last night's clear and innocent sunset.
   

Awesome. That's the word I would use to describe the night. Clear, cool, the stars and moon brighter than I have seen in weeks. It was as if God was saying. "You are so silly. You think you need electricity for light? Hardly. My lights are more than enough." I can't even remember the last time I sat and looked at the moon and actually thought about it. It may seem odd to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the power outage, but sometimes it's nice net to get a break. A break from the same mundane TV shows, a break from scrounging up something for dinner, a break from the harsh LED lights that hide those lovely stars from view. Candles aglow, I sat with my husband. We talked about how lucky we were. We sang again, this time belting out our most favorite tunes. 

It was a day filled with little cameo moments that I had the opportunity to glimpse. Right before we fell asleep, the hum of our electronics filling out apartment once more; I turned over and said. "Everything is more fun with you." 

Even a tornado. 

**i do want to make mention of many who were not as lucky as I was. To them; I am truly sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers. If anyone would like to get involved in the relief efforts, but aren't sure how; a friend of mine is putting together a Christmas benefit. To help or learn more,  just click this link; Washington, IL Tornado - Christmas Benefit



Comments

Popular Posts