This past weekend I had one of the most exciting privileges. I got to be a part of our Youth Group's Teens Involved Program. So this week, instead of just listing a whole bunch of random things that I am thankful for, I decided to blog about one thing in particular that I am super super thankful for!
 |
| Tell me that when you see this, you aren't instantly in love with them? |
This is the third year in a row that I have been blessed to be the assistant director for the drama for the Teens Involved Competition. For those of you who do not know what Teen's Involved is, it is a competition for Christian Youth to share their talents, in order to train them for service in the local church.
 |
| Everyman's Jouney, 2009. |
My fearless leader, is the wonderfully talented, Grandma Terry. She is not my grandma, in fact she is Daniel's grandma, but she is so delightful that she is one of those people who wants all people near her grandchildren's age to call her "Grandma". Anyway, I love her so much, and she is such an inspiration to me of what I would like to be someday. She puts such faith in me, and asks me about all of the minute details, even though she has done who-knows-how-many dramas in her lifetime. Year after year she puts just a little more responsibility on me, and she told me once that her ultimate goal is to train me to be able to direct on my own, which is exactly what a great mentor's goal should be!
 |
| Everyman's Journey 2009. |
Like I said, this is my third year assisting, and I have loved every minute of it. The first year that I did it, we did a drama called Everyman's Journey. I had been approached about helping in early February of 2009. I had no idea what that February would be like for me. My mom passed away at the beginning of March. I remember driving from the hospital (where I spent every day in those last weeks of February) to the church for drama practice. Grandma Terry was quick to tell me that I did not need to be at all of those practices, and that many people had stepped in to help out. Still, I came. I didn't really even realize it at the time, but it was such a release for me. It was in many ways, freeing to get out of the hospital, and to remember that life goes on. Our first competition that year came on the very day after my mom's funeral. Needless to say, there was not a dry eye in the room when my beautiful sister sang her solo. The drama though; I cannot express to you the beautiful marriage of pride and humility in watching something so beautiful come together. It was so healing for me.
 |
| Everyman's Journey, 2009 |
At the end of that year when we made it to nationals, Grandma Terry found out that she wouldn't be able to make the trip, due to a separate missions trip that she had already planned on. She apologized, but reassured me that I would do fine, and do fine I did. With all of the tremendous help that I was given, the drama went beautifully. We ended up placing in Nationals, a first in our Youth Group's history.
 |
| Everyman's Journey, 2009 |
Last year, I upgraded and really had a hand in much more than costumes and motivational speeches. I helped out with the actual conceptualization of the drama, with casting, with everything under the sun. Again, I had a blast. Again we made it to nationals.
 |
| Ironing last minute. 2010 |
I sat there, on that sticky (all the days that week were sticky) July day, and I watched those wonderful teenagers as the performed their now well known drama for the hundredth time. Something went wrong though, as they tried to hang up their canvases on the picture frame provided them, they kept falling down. I watched as the poor kids tried fifty hundred times to get them to stay. In fact, I was filming with a video camera, and so all I did was watch. I cannot explain in words though, the beauty of that moment. It was like, I was so proud of them. I was proud of how they persevered, proud of how nobody lost their cool, just kept on trucking. Proud of a set director who apologized openly for not making sure the frame was up correctly. And then, I was proud most of all, as I sat there during the awards ceremony knowing that we had lost a good 12 points with the judges for our time being over, and I heard them call our names for third place! Third place when we had "messed up" so harshly! It was fantastic!
 |
| 2010. Although this picture is fitting, this is not during the drama. This is in my hotel room. While changing into their costumes, they broke my mirror. |
So here we are again. Any insights for this year? Any lessons learned? Indeed! I have already been more challenged than I could have imagined through this year's drama. Our drama is based on a play about Jim Elliot and the tragedy that happened in Ecuador to five missionaries and the impact that it had not only on their families, but on the world. It has been a joy to see God use the drama to touch the hearts of some of the Youth Group members themselves, and mine as well. This year the drama is not just a magical artistic representation of biblical truth, but it is something altogether more powerful than that. It is challenging, life-changing, and deeply moving.
 |
| 2010 |
My job this year has been primarily directing and overseeing all of the girls in the drama. Five of the six girls in the drama have to play women who become widowed. It has been a significant challenge for fourteen, fifteen, and sixteen year old girls to slip into the mindset of young widows, but it has been a challenge that they have embraced whole-heartedly. I have learned so much from teaching them about these women; that is ironically nearly always the way. We learn so much from teaching. Being closer to that point in my life than most of these girls, I have been nearly driven to tears several times in simply instructing them on how to act.
 |
| Bridge of Blood, 2011 |
The most moving part for all of us, is that the story is a true one. A couple weeks ago I brought in pictures to each of the girls of what their characters really looked like. They were pictures of the women with their families, many with their husbands. I think that is when it really hit home for them. I noticed immediately a passion in their acting that I hadn't noticed previously. I don't blame them. To look into the faces of a happy family that you know would be ripped apart only months later, to look and know they were willing for such a thing if only to bring truth to a suffering people. It is an emotional thing for anyone.
 |
| Bridge of Blood, 2011 |
Probably, the most beautiful thing so far this year, is that I have seen this drama have a huge effect on one certain actor. Maybe, it is only my imagination. I have not actually spoken to him about how the drama has impacted his life. Yet, you know as well as I what it looks like on someone's face when they really believe what they are saying. This young person has disclosed to me his desire for missions. I see in his face a passion that was once as strong in my own life and then in my little sister's life. What a beautiful passion. A passion only given by a great God. A passion for the hearts, lives, and very souls of people.
 |
| Bridge of Blood, 2011 |
So in conclusion, I step back and I take a look at this beautiful thing that God has allowed me to be apart of. I thank him for allowing me to be a part of such a great team, Grandma Terry and the rest of those who help out. I thank him for the amazing hearts and souls of these phenomenal kids. I thank him that somehow I did not follow my flesh and get back into the cycle of community theater. I would much rather know that I am placing all of my artistic energy into something that really matters for eternity.
Bring on the regional competition! :)
Great post Emily! It is neat to review all the hard times and the victories. I agree that the story line this year is one that is powerful. It gave me chill bumps as I watched on Saturday. You all did a great job with costumes, staging, lines etc! And I think the cherry on top is the passion that is thrown in by the actors.
ReplyDeleteLoved looking at the pictures for the past couple of years. I have to say I definitely agree with the proud feeling of last year's success when the performance didn't "appear" successful! There is so much more to be learned than just lines when you are in it for the right reasons. Thank you for your service and encouragment, leadership and willingness to learn from Ms. Terry! Great example to follow! Can't wait to see the drama this year. It hasn't worked out yet, but I am excited to see it soon at Regionals!
ReplyDeleteSusan, thanks! I agree entirely about the chills, I think I get them every time!
ReplyDeleteJessica, no worries about not seeing it yet, you'll probably get to see an even better product! :)